Author Topic: Late Ketland for an English halfstock??  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

Late Ketland for an English halfstock??
« on: April 17, 2019, 06:31:11 PM »
What do you guys think? Can I use a Late Ketland for an 1800 period English halfstock fowler? From what I have heard, this is the fastest and most reliable lock out there, and I want the best on my rifle.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 06:37:33 PM by Justin Urbantas »

Offline Marcruger

Re: Late Ketland for an English halfstock??
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 07:37:52 PM »
The Late Ketland is fast.  Not like a properly set up percussion gun, but fast.  Throws a nice bunch of sparks. 

Mine was hard on flint knapping until I extended the leather out to the end of the flint on top.  It stopped the rebounding frizzen from knapping.  Now I get many many shots out of one flint. 

Great lock.  As are the other Chambers locks I have been involved with. 

I hope this helps a little.  Others can fill you in on the appropriateness from a historical perspective. 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 09:27:34 PM »
Justin...the late Ketland is perfect for a half stocked fowling piece.  But keep the gun fine - not chunky.  I have an original fowling piece in 20 gauge with a late Ketland flint lock and it's a neat set up.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline mtlonghunter

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 09:36:21 PM »
Good luck getting one anytime soon. Theyve been back ordered for around 8 months. Get on the list though. They are a fine lock.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 09:39:45 PM »
Thanks guys. I was smart, and got one last year. Trying to find a patent breech is another story..

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 09:44:00 PM »
Justin...the late Ketland is perfect for a half stocked fowling piece.  But keep the gun fine - not chunky.  I have an original fowling piece in 20 gauge with a late Ketland flint lock and it's a neat set up.
I would love to see any pictures you have, Taylor. I hava copy of Neal and Back's book on the way I'm borrowing from Jose Gordo.

Offline G_T

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 10:08:42 PM »
On at least some of the Late Ketland locks, the foot of the frizzen is too thick (vertically). That prevents the frizzen from opening all the way. All the way is when the roller sits into the circular depression on the base of the frizzen foot. It then takes a lot more force for the frizzen to come back from fully forwards. You can file a little at a time from the bottom of that foot where it contacts the frizzen spring, to let it rotate farther - but don't take off too much. A hair short  of fully engaging the roller with the cutout is better than going too far! Anyway that should solve rebound problems, IMHO. It also detensions the frizzen spring most of the way in the fully open position. Geometry rather than spring tension makes it want to stay open once open.

Gerald

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 03:22:58 AM »
I restocked the piece back in my early years Justin.  The walnut stock which I still have, was missing a lot of forestock wood, and the gun had been converted to percussion.  I re-converted the lock (poorly) and restocked it in red maple.  I shot it like that for many years as it was my onloy smoothbore at the time.  but it deserves a much better restoration than I was able to deliver at the time.  Send me an email, and I'll forward a few pictures...dtaylorsapergia@gmail.com
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 04:20:54 PM »
Thanks guys. I was smart, and got one last year. Trying to find a patent breech is another story..

The Chambers late Ketland IMHO would be ideal for such a project.I have used the external
parts for customers and so far so good.It IS a good lock as it comes from Chambers and
the best of the production locks.I have a similar project started (barely)but am using the
externals from the L&R Durs Egg. I made my own "patent breech"and it's one piece,tang
and chamber.The barrel I'm using is a GM 50 caliber and one inch across the flats and
about 33 inches long.The barrel is in the wood but so far no real priority assigned to it.
   I have heard some scuttlebutt about foundries not wanting business from producers of
unusual items like locks for long obsolete guns.Does anyone have any REAL info on this??
It would indeed be a dark time for a number of people if foundries decide to exclude us.
Over the last 60 years I have tried to avoid,to the extent POSSIBLE any and all outside
sources other than steel bar stock in various grades for lock internals and now set triggers
that I am concentrating on presently and only 5 locks to go and I'll be done with that.

Bob Roller

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 04:59:43 PM »
The issue with patent breech availability is that Peter Allen made many of the masters and got them cast and others sold them. As I understand it he’s done doing that but won’t part with his business operation.

I’m not sure foundries care what they are casting as long as it is high volume. Making 50 of this and 25 of that is not an efficient money maker for them whether it’s patent breeches or widgets.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 04:30:23 AM »
The issue with patent breech availability is that Peter Allen made many of the masters and got them cast and others sold them. As I understand it he’s done doing that but won’t part with his business operation.

I’m not sure foundries care what they are casting as long as it is high volume. Making 50 of this and 25 of that is not an efficient money maker for them whether it’s patent breeches or widgets.

VOLUME is the name of the game and small orders or one off items are not wanted.
Items that should be really close in dimensions are frequently unwanted by foundries.
Lock tumblers are an example of that.
Patent breeches can be a problem.When Art Resell owned the Hawken shop he had
all of his breech plugs X rayed for flaws that could possibly cause a failure during firing
which could get courts and lawyers involved.Good thinking on Art's part and should be
used for all such items pertaining to muzzle loaders.

Bob Roller

Turtle

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 03:39:28 PM »
 Another possibility would be the lock Pedrosli uses in their Mortimer English rifle/fouler. A friend has one and it's one of the best performing flint locks I have ever seen and beautifully made. The only trouble he had is the safety sometimes would block the hammer by itself till I fixed it. He has been shooting it frequently for 20+ years. Fast, reliable, and east on flints. They were available separately.