Author Topic: BREECH PLUG  (Read 2064 times)

Offline wapiti22

BREECH PLUG
« on: April 18, 2019, 12:32:05 AM »
I'm working on my first build. Recently picked up a new GR Douglas barrel in 45 cal. Has a breech plug that is not fully seated. I ordered a different plug to install.  The depth of the shoulder in the barrel is .394. The thread length on the new plug is .625.  My question is this, is .394 deep enough for the plug to seal and be safe?  I don't own a lathe or have ready access to one so any work will be by hand. I think it wold be easier to shorten the plug threads.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: BREECH PLUG
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 12:52:11 AM »
It’s enough for me.  If you can find a nut that threads onto the plug, that helps square it up after cutting some off. Spin it on before cutting obviously.
Andover, Vermont

Offline 45-110

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 02:45:13 AM »
just me, but i would not be comfortable with .394 of thread. seems to be a trend of late to offer the minimum thread length which has been discussed here ad nauseum. 1/2"- 9/16" would be what i would like for a good margin of safety, for you or the next owner.
kw

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 03:08:09 AM »
The plug threads in my 15 bore Staudenhymer (sp?) double barrels are .375" long.  They still have case colours present and there is no shoulder for them to bottom against.  Your choice, but if it were mine, and the threads were tight, I'd be fine with it too.

Great tip on squarely cutting off a thread journal, Rich!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline wapiti22

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 09:44:27 PM »
At .394 depth, I'll have about 6 threads engaged.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 11:56:23 PM »
Historically, 3/8" was used.  We modern types seem to prefer 1/2".
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 02:55:40 AM »
If you decide to lengthen it by hand you can buy you an end mill bit of the same size as the drill for a 5/8 x 18 ( I assume its that size) and deepen it before finishing up with a bottoming tap.  You can get the endmill bit off of ebay.  It will have a 1/2 inch shank and you should be able to drill it slightly deeper and tap the hole deeper.  This will leave you a nice shoulder for the plug to seat against.  If you're going to get into this hobby you'll use the endmill and tap more.  You should deepen the hole slightly with the correct size tap drill and finish with the end mill.  Keeping the barrel square while doing this will be vital.  That  barrel will drill like butter with a big .45 pilot hole.

Bob

Offline 45-110

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 03:22:59 PM »
the correct way, and cheapest is to bore the tap drill diameter with a boring bar, not buy a special grind diameter end mill. its a simple lathe set up for sure, but guarantees positive results.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 02:45:56 PM »
the correct way, and cheapest is to bore the tap drill diameter with a boring bar, not buy a special grind diameter end mill. its a simple lathe set up for sure, but guarantees positive results.

45-110 is right. A lathe and a boring bar works well.Custom ground end mills are OK but
for a ONE TIME job not very practical unless you have a big budget for hobbies and such.
I have used the boring bar at Bill Large's shop more than once to form a flat shoulder
for the plug to come up on and seal properly. Never had one leak that I know of.

Bob Roller

Offline bptactical

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 07:17:36 PM »
I sent an offer to the OP to either push the existing threads forward a bit or lop it off and start fresh.
The most important thing to be learned from those who demand “Equality For All” is that all are not equal

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 09:51:52 PM »
It's perfectly safe as is.  However, before making any decision, locate where your touch hole will be with each depth.  Then consider how that will affect lock placement, which in turn will affect your side panels and perhaps your wrist.  Then make your choice.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 06:54:04 AM »
If you have a lathe this is the best way. Center the bore at both ends of the headstock and then bore it. Leaves a square shoulder, may need two or even three different taps to get it all the way to the bottom. This barrel is 4150 BTW.
Large bore, thin wall barrels like shotguns/fowlers there is often no shoulder. But the taps and dies used would cut threads on the plug that were very close the the hole the tap would make. Modern taps and dies have "tolerance" so its best to order taps with the minimum clearance most are typically H3
But H1 taps will give a tighter fit and better engagement.
http://www.tapmatic.com/tapping_questions_class_of_threads_h_limits.ydev
Dan

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 07:08:58 AM »
The problem with end mills is that then are expensive in odd sizes and they cut on the sides. Its possible to make a cutter to even, reshape or deepen the hole by using a piece of rod that will just fit in the tapped hole, drill a hole in the end then file teeth and harden or case harden. This will cut slow but will work if the teeth are cut right and its a lot cheaper. I have one I drilled and tapped for a hex head bolt then use a 3/8" drive ratchet to drive it. An electric drill will work too. Just drill and tap the none working end then screw in a bolt that the drill chuck will accept, cut the hex head off. But be careful with the power tool than you don't damage the barrel threads or overheat the cutter. The bolt in the end can also be used to spin it against a belt sander to reduce the size to fit the existing hole.
A sharp chisel can be used to upset teeth I suppose. But I filed mile with a 3 square file with one flat ground smooth the form sharp edged, as used for dovetails.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine