Author Topic: Comparison of Goex, Swiss and Olde Eynsford in a .58 flintlock  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Herb

This is a 24" barreled GRRW Leman that I had rebored to a .58 by Hoyt.  It had gone through a fire and I rebuilt it.  Tests were at 50 yards from the bench.  Each powder was measured with a measure cut to throw 100 grains by weight.  I had a damp cleaning patch on the seater jag, otherwise, no wiping or cleaning.  You can hold down CONTROL and hit the + sign to enlarge the photo to read the data.  First photo is the big picture, then I show the targets in sets of three so you can read them.

Herb

Offline hawkeye

Re: Comparison of Goex, Swiss and Olde Eynsford in a .58 flintlock
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 02:26:01 PM »
in a flintlock you should go better for Swiss 3 f

Offline Herb

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 05:02:40 PM »
Thanks.  I didn't have any Swiss 3F.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 05:06:50 PM by Herb »
Herb

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 09:37:35 PM »
Some pretty good groups there, Herb, considering your sight radius.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline shifty

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 11:19:27 PM »
Some pretty good groups there, Herb, considering your sight radius.
[/quot 

Thats what i was going to say just hopoe my 26" ,50 cal Leman i'm building does as well,good job Herb always glad to hear from you !

Offline Herb

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 05:50:41 AM »
I found a Swiss 3F target I shot with a .58 fullstock flint Hawken I built, 36" barrel, shot at 100 yards from bench rest.  The first two targets were with 120 grains weight of Goex 2F measured with the brass measure shown in the middle.  Target one was with .562 cast balls and .020 linen patches.  Target two was with .570 balls and ".020" (it says on the package, it crushes down) Ox Yoke patching.  I don't remember why I changed patches unless that was heavy linen that made too tight a fit with the .570 balls. 

Target three was with 100 GRAINS WEIGHT (by measure) of Swiss 3F, .570 balls and .020 Ox Yoke patching. 

The reason I wrote "bore did not foul at breech" is because Swiss 2F did (IIRC) and Swiss 1 1/2 fouled back about 6 to 8 inches from the muzzle.  This with no wiping.
Herb

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 09:15:10 PM »
Well, looks like Swiss 3F in 100gr. charge is liked by that rifle. Have you experimented with placing a thin card or wad of patch between patched ball and the powder?
If this shot well and eliminated the blown patch now and then, THAT would be an excellent load for THAT rifle- certainly good vel. and accuracy.
Daryl

Offline Herb

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 12:30:08 AM »
Hatchet Jack has this rifle now. I tried overpowder wads in .58 loads, but I have dozens of them to look at.  Don't remember this one.
Herb

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 03:41:59 AM »
OK - cool! HJ lives down in the South of the Province, now. I recall the rifle, though, seems to me.
I'll likely make it's acquaintance this Sept. at Rendezvous, unless he comes up for ours on July 1st weekend.
Daryl