Author Topic: First shoots from 58 Kibler Colonial  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Bigmon

First shoots from 58 Kibler Colonial
« on: April 18, 2019, 06:23:57 PM »
From my bench with 80Gr FFG Goex, .562 RB, .018 Pillow Ticking lubed with Moose Milk.
At a nickle sized circle at 20 yds this gun shoots the same hole every time.
That is as good as I can see.  But at 60yds I was holding dead on and hitting a 6" metal target.
Then the sun came out and I could not hit a thing.
When loading it seems a little loose.  I could try a larger RB but why?  I can't shoot any better than that and why make it hard to load?
That barrel is smooth as silk inside and I did nothing to it.
Just thought this might help someone in sighting in.  I know most like heavier loads, but out to 100 yds this should be fine.  I really can't shoot any farther usually but have killed deer a lot farther but usually won't try it.

Offline recurve

Re: First shoots from 58 Kibler Colonial
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 07:27:43 PM »
Try a thicker patch like 10oz denim 
the upper load was with .020 denim the lower was with .018 pillow ticking, it made a difference
same powder& ball load off bench

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 08:16:20 PM »
My main problem is my eye sight, or lack thereof!

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 08:24:33 PM »
Then the sun came out and I could not hit a thing.
Don't discount that as your problem.  I first noticed this on a bright sunny day with large clouds floating over.  I was shooting south.  When shooting in the shade of a cloud, I was hitting the bull.  When it blew over and shooting in bright sun, all shots were 2" low and right.  I ended up with 2 groups on the target, sunny and cloudy.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 08:40:21 PM »
How is the fouling after each shot with your load? Your load, I think is way under sized in that your patch will not seal and you could be getting a lot of blow by. Get a bigger aiming dot and move out to 50 yds. as just about any gun will shoot ok at 20.

Offline RichG

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 11:01:04 PM »
I use a .025 patch with a .565 ball for my hunting load. snug but not tight. 120gr. 2f Old Eynsford 1826 fps. Target load is 70gr 3f .020 patch and .575 ball 1300 fps. The extra 500 fps come in handy when you try to hit something past 50yds.
As to changing point of impact; open sights are always susceptible to changes of light hence hooded sight on target guns. I have found that the curved blade front sights are more prone to this. Wherever the sun hits the curve of the blade becomes the top of the blade. Also it will go left right with witch ever side the sun is shinning on.   

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 11:55:44 PM »
Try a box of Hornady 570 round balls. They worked great for me.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 12:54:19 AM »

Try one of these targets, made of day-glo poster paper and black construction paper.  This one works great for any range out to 100 yards or so.  The point of the triangle perches right on top of the front sight.  The group should hit the bottom tip of the triangle.   This group was slightly low while I was looking for the right load.  Then filing begins. 

The same idea, but using a 1" wide cross all the way across the paper makes an excellent peep sight target. 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 12:56:23 AM »
Also, you might try low powered reading glasses (cheapies, from Walmart in my case) to allow you to see the front sight clearly.  I have a bag full in my shooting stuff, for various length barrel rifles and handguns.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 01:31:59 AM »
Thanks you all.  I have a .575 mold, but just too tite.  I'd think .570 or a little less would be about right.
Going to look for a few .570's before buying a another .
This .575 is like new.  Made a few balls and they were too big.
Wonder if anyone would wanna trade for a .570? mold