Author Topic: English SXS Percussion Restorations  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Feltwad

English SXS Percussion Restorations
« on: April 19, 2019, 03:31:43 PM »
Over the last few weeks I have restored  several  English sxs percussion shotguns Some were not in too bad a condition mostly removing rust and grime from the stock and the bore ,others were bad with broken locks and stocks,rust, hammers missing, and barrels with ribs missing or loose including breech plugs missing .Enclosed are images of three of these .The first image is a sxs 10 bore by Thompson of London  built for the Bishop Of Durham or one of his gamekeeper which carries his Coat Of Arms ,you will notice that the barrels are not for this gun has the gun was built with back action locks the barrels are made for  a gun with side lock percussion The other two guns are cased sxs 12 bore one By P Watson of Newcastle -Upon -Tyne and the last by Thurfield  most likely a provincial maker.
Feltwad

upload image host

« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 03:54:57 PM by Feltwad »

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: English SXS Percussion Restorations
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 04:17:30 PM »
Good morning Feltwad,

They look very good now, and it would be nice to see some photos of "Before" if you have any.
I know I nearly always forget to take "before" pictures until 'afterwards"!

You do a nice job on them, both stocks and barrels.
Some close-ups of the worked areas would be nice if you can.
Spring will have come with you, but all brown here still.  Are the rooks nesting yet?

I forget.  been here 35 years now!

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 04:34:04 PM »
Good morning Feltwad,

They look very good now, and it would be nice to see some photos of "Before" if you have any.
I know I nearly always forget to take "before" pictures until 'afterwards"!

You do a nice job on them, both stocks and barrels.
Some close-ups of the worked areas would be nice if you can.
Spring will have come with you, but all brown here still.  Are the rooks nesting yet?

I forget.  been here 35 years now!

Yes I should take some photos  before I start but I always  forget .Well 35 years since you left If you ever return you will be shocked everything has changed we are loosing more countryside to housing at a fast rate .
Has for the rooks there will be young on the wing by the end of April the old birds are mostly among the sheep feed troughs and piggery  , very few on the drilling mostly because these modern machines put the corn well down . Or must say I was 81 years on the 16th of April what you call a grumpy old b===== now.
Feltwad

Offline heelerau

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 02:52:19 AM »
Lovely job on those guns !  I also think before shots are good.  I have just finished sorting out a number of guns purchased by a mate of mine from a late collector, ver satisfying, mostly lock repairs, still have to refix an under rib on my heavy sporting rifle.

cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !