Author Topic: Opinion on Wrist Profile  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Nhgrants

Opinion on Wrist Profile
« on: April 20, 2019, 01:50:43 AM »
Would you please tell me if you think the wrist has a hump in it just behind the tang bolt.
Lot of shaping left to do but the tang and the top of the wrist are about flush now.
The forged trigger need shaping and finishing too.  Should I live with the wrist or change it?

Offline Bill Raby

Re: Opinion on Wrist Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 02:46:05 AM »
Change it is you are not happy with it.

Offline Nhgrants

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 04:10:15 AM »
I guess I should have asked the question differently.
Mainly I would like to get feed back on the profile of the wrist.
Thanks

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 06:01:20 AM »
Hard to see from one picture.  But it looks quite convex behind the tang then a little concave or with a dip approaching the comb. You want smooth transitions and continuity of form. Also it must be perfectly rounded or egg shaped in the wrist, not oblong (not square with rounded corners).  I have made a series of scrapers with semi-circles of different diameters cut into the edges and use those to find and fix flat spots wherever things should be round or elliptical.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 11:23:05 AM »
Looks a little humpy to me just behind the tang bolt. I would lower it and blend it in with the rear of the wrist profile.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Davemuzz

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 02:30:54 PM »
What does it look like when you lay a straight edge on it? Does that show a discernible hump?

Lzymtlsmth

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 03:04:05 PM »
yep, hump behind the tang sometimes called a "pinched wrist". a practiced eye will see it everytime, novices not so much.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 03:18:38 PM »
Tang is too straight. That is what is creating your 'ump.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 03:37:32 PM »
I agree with Mike, I have had the same problem with one rifle and had to actually cut a "wedge" out of the tang bolster  in order to get the tang bent enough for the wrist profile to look correct. A hand hack saw will  do the trick.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nhgrants

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 03:56:12 PM »
Thanks for your comments.  There is a flat spot on the tang right beyond the breech.
I think this is where problem originates.  I wish I saw it during the layout phase.

Offline flehto

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 04:29:35 PM »
The tang is the problem .....did you eliminate  the large radius underneath and replace it w/ a 1/32" radius? I also file off some steel from the back of the bolster leaving just  enough for a wrench.  Have also filed a groove as per pic so the tang itself bends closer to the breech. ....Fred

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 05:24:51 PM »
Thanks for the picture Fred, you have taught me more than you will ever know over the years, a little here and a little there and always to the point.

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 07:45:42 AM »
Thanks for the picture Fred, you have taught me more than you will ever know over the years, a little here and a little there and always to the point.

True!
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline flehto

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 04:23:44 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. I also file the top bbl flat  for up to 3/4" for a smooth transition from  bbl to tang. The oblique flats  then have to also be  filed {faked in} so that the width of the top bbl flat matches the tang......Fred