Author Topic: Powder Measure for Shot  (Read 4184 times)

Offline Nhgrants

Powder Measure for Shot
« on: April 21, 2019, 07:57:12 PM »
Is there a reference chart for how many volume grains to an ounce of shot? I am only using #5 lead.
I would like to measure 1 oz,  1.25 oz and 1.5 oz using my adjustable powder measure.
I realize that different shot sizes will have slightly different unit weights. Thsnks.

Offline Mauser06

Re: Powder Measure for Shot
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 08:28:45 PM »
Weigh it on a scale and then put it in a measurer and see what it reads.  Best way to actually find out. Different lead $#*& actually has slightly different densities.  Plated sho  will have slight weight differences as well...and I'd imagine different sizes will throw off what it reads on a volume measurer.   

I have nickel plated 6s charted out by weigh and volume and pellet counts so I can get an idea of how my patterns are performing.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 01:14:30 AM »
Yes there is, but not on this forum. I will try to copy and paste it, but, last time I tried that it didn't paste in chart form.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 01:17:59 AM »
Can't get it in chart format, so, here is a list,
POWDER MEASURE SETTINGS TO
MEASURE OUT OUNCES OF BIRD SHOT

50 grain setting
=
3/4 ounce of shot

60 grain setting
=
7/8 ounce of shot

70 grain setting
=
1 once of shot

80 grain setting
=
1 1/8 ounce of shot

90 grain setting
=
1 1/4 ounce of shot

100 grain setting
=
1 3/8 ounce of shot

110 grain setting
=
1 1/2 ounce of shot

120 grain setting
=
1 5/8 ounce of shot

Offline Nhgrants

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 01:51:38 AM »
Thanks very much

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 06:25:33 AM »
Spot-on- that list duplicates mine.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 08:46:37 PM »
Brokennock and Daryl,

What size shot is that chart a reference for?

Thanks, R.J. Bruce

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 09:52:02 PM »
bird shot  (;D)

What sized of which mfgr's shot are the commercial, antique or modern shot measures set for?

One must do some weighing and guzinta's to find out.

If you need to be more 'accurate' than the estimate, you could get a shot-size/weight chart from the shot manufacturer and
 and start weighing and counting pellets.

When I was seriously patterning and modifying the chokes of my duck and goose guns, I did a LOT of weighing then counting of
pellets into the load and then what landed on pattern sheets inside 30" and 20" circles at 40yards.

That is the only way of KNOWING what is happening.  It is also the only way to know and develop consistent loads.

Use your grain scale to measure what various powder measures 'throw' in whatever shot make and size you want to use.

16 ounces or 7,000grains to the pound.   437.5gr. to the ounce.  27.3gr. to the dram.

I suspect the "Golden Mean" was used a lot for measures, both powder and shot.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 10:01:28 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 09:29:32 AM »
Doesn't matter what size shot. This is volume measurement. That is why there is a given number of shot in a  modern shotgun  shell that goes up and down depending on the size of the shot. A 1oz load of #8 shot will have more pellets (or pieces of shot) than a 1oz load of #5, which will still have more than a 1oz load of #2 or BB, and so on.
Don't mix up weight and volume. Especially between ounces and grains. By weight, 1oz is 437.5 grains

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 07:39:48 PM »
Doesn't matter what size shot. This is volume measurement. That is why there is a given number of shot in a  modern shotgun  shell that goes up and down depending on the size of the shot. A 1oz load of #8 shot will have more pellets (or pieces of shot) than a 1oz load of #5, which will still have more than a 1oz load of #2 or BB, and so on.
Don't mix up weight and volume. Especially between ounces and grains. By weight, 1oz is 437.5 grains

The trouble is, the chart already mixes weight and volume.

The chart notes a given volume powder measure holds a certain weight of shot. Shot is measured by weight as I noted above.

The trouble is, if one gets too technically minded, a 'given' measure will only throw X grains of a certain powder, depending on it's granulation size and specific gravity)

That measure will not throw the same weight of shot in size 5 as it does in size 7 1/2.

That I think, is why R.J. Bruce asked the question.

However, the chart works fine for "rough" work with a smoothbore without the counting of pellets for exact pattern percentages.

The same goes for powder charge testing. We go up and down, and when we find the volume measure that works best, we (I) weigh the powder that measure 'throws', so I can make
another 'perfect' measure for 'THAT' gun is I lose the "best" one.

Same goes for shot - we use a bunch of different 'thrown' measures for powder and shot and when we find the one that works - we use it.

Some of us like to know what that powder and shot "Load" weighs, so we measure it. Some even count pellets in, and pellets on the paper.

All about "degrees" of accuracy.  Some care, some don't. Good thing we are not all alike - THAT would be boring.

I might add here, that by 1850, THEY were counting pellets per ounce for the different sizes of shot.   #'s and %ages were used in field trials for testing guns and their shooting qualities.

That "data" is available in W.W. Greener's 9th edition of "The Gun and it's Development".  Book #1 of "The Gun and it's Development" was written by W. Greener in 1855.
It's a good read!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 07:50:50 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Nhgrants

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 01:02:45 AM »
The chart gets me in the ball park which was what i was looking for.
I understand the effect of different shot sizes in the same volume.

An example would be two identical tandem axle dump trucks loaded level to the top of the body.
The first truck I'd loaded with 2 foot blasted ledge rock.  The second truck is loaded with rock from the same
Quarry but the rock went thru a crusher first and the aggregates are about 1.5  inches in size.
Both trucks have about 14 cubic yards in them. The truck with the smaller particles weighs more because there is less air space between the particles.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 08:51:57 PM »
Zakly. :)
It is only as complicated as you want, depending if more accurate "data" is desired.
One 10 bore I played with, was running 94% from the right barrel, 96% from the left.
Those percentages are at 40 yards, with only from 8 to 10 pellets outside the 30" circle.
I was using Blymeiseter shot made in Alberta in #3 size. It was VERY hard, being 5% antimony
and pounded geese to 75/80 yards with a mere 2oz load. They came down dead.  With the same
make of shot in #5, at 40 yards, it put 189 pellets onto a mallard drake silhouette. Bit much for
such close range shooting, I'd say.
I should mention, this all predated non-toxic shot.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 08:59:24 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline robinettemorici

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2022, 09:41:47 PM »
Hello, this is a good question. Usually, the shotgun on rifle loads is measured with drams volume. If I remember correctly, one dram equals 27 grains(I'm not sure, so google it). I think it is better to calculate the necessary powder weight in drams, but if you are more used to ounces, you can use this https://ounces-to-grams.com converter to make calculations. Remember that making powder by yourself and changing the oz quantity can affect your rifle durability, so make sure you know what you are doing, Nhgrants!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 06:06:54 PM by robinettemorici »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2022, 11:43:55 PM »
I'll round up or down as the case may be.
British loads for bore rifles were expressed in dram avoirdupois weight, not apothecaries weight of 60gr. = 1 drachm
although the word drachm was used in Forsyth's book - appears to have been used by Baker and Forsyth, similarly.

1 dram = 27.3gr.

55gr. =  2 drams
62gr. =  2 1/4 drams
68gr. =  2 1/2 drams
75gr. =  2 3/4 drams
82gr. =  3...... drams
89gr. =  3 1/4 drams
96gr. =  3 1/2 drams
102gr. =3 3/4 drams
109gr. =4...... drams
116gr. =4 1/4 drams
123gr. =4 1/2 drams
130gr. =4 3/4 drams
137gr. =5.......drams
150gr. =5 1/2 drams
164gr. =6...... drams
191gr. =7...... drams
218gr. =8...... drams
246gr. =9.......drams
273gr. =10.....drams

Daryl

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2022, 04:26:22 AM »
OK I have never owned or even shot a smooth bore but am a month away of getting another Don Bruton creation. This one will be .54 caliber (28 gauge)? I will almost exclusively shoot a patched ball, but if I was to shoot shot don't I just use my powder measure and use equal measures shot and powder(with an over powder card and over shot cushion)?
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2022, 05:05:59 AM »
My shot pouch (not hunting bag)  has its own charge markings on the shot dispenser.  Set the OZ charge desired and the dispenser does the rest of the work.  KISS principle at work.

Offline RichG

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2022, 07:53:42 AM »
The only way to be sure is to weigh your volume measures of shot. Just because your Irish or English charger or other device says 1 1/4 oz doesn't make it so. Weight by volume will be affected by size of shot. BB's take up more space than 9's.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2022, 04:14:20 PM »
OK I have never owned or even shot a smooth bore but am a month away of getting another Don Bruton creation. This one will be .54 caliber (28 gauge)? I will almost exclusively shoot a patched ball, but if I was to shoot shot don't I just use my powder measure and use equal measures shot and powder(with an over powder card and over shot cushion)?

Yes, that's called a "square" load. If it doesn't pattern good at your required distance add 5 grns. of shot till it does.  Make sure it penetyrates a tin can for adequate killing power....LK
Ed Hamberg

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2022, 05:44:04 PM »

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2022, 06:59:41 PM »
That little rhyme has been my experience in the limited smooth bore shooting that I have done. ;)

Offline Jerry

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2022, 05:25:42 PM »
I purchased a handy adjustable shot dipper from Ted Cash Mfg. Currently using equal powder & shot.