Author Topic: Forged Oyster Knife  (Read 1727 times)

Offline tippit

Forged Oyster Knife
« on: April 27, 2019, 09:25:57 PM »
Did the early Southern Boys eat & roast oysters?  Here in SC oysters are a big delight raw or roasted in the fire.   Therefore to be authentic, one would need a dedicated blacksmith forged oyster knife made from supplies available at the time...Railroad Spikes. 

PS: Moderators feel free to pull this post just wanted to show some early Oyster Sucking Knives ...tippit

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Forged Oyster Knife
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 10:48:18 PM »
A friend gifted me a knife made just like those.  Now I know what to use them for.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 02:03:07 AM »
Neat looking, but I've shucked a reef's worth of oysters in my days and never seen a shuckin knife like those!
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Online Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 03:16:25 AM »
Oysters were a favorite of northern and southern soldiers during the War of the Rebellion.
Psalms 144

Offline Kevin

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 04:46:54 AM »
Greetings All,

Lot of history about the harvesting, selling, shipping, and consumption of oysters out there on the world wide web. Whenever and wherever they were found they were soon being served up and became part of the local economy.  Here's my attempt at recreating an oyster box that was recovered from the 1856 shipwreck of the Steamboat Arabia.

Kevin

Offline tippit

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 04:17:45 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  I was afraid to post as I didn't know of any connection to the time period.  I have a good friend who is a chef so it's always fun to forge with him and get his ideas of the right feel to a knife.  Nice to get the perspective of some one who makes his living with knives...this year was coming up with a few fancy Oyster knives.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 04:31:39 PM by tippit »