Author Topic: Working on triggers  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Bob Roller

Working on triggers
« on: April 30, 2019, 09:59:44 PM »
For all who have requested my double set triggers I want to thank you
and I am working as fast as is consistent with my ideas about quality
control.I lost today because of a snap ring retainer in my now 52 year
old milling machine came out of the retainer that keeps the left side
double bearings in place.My wife has up coming doctor visits and she no
longer drives.Arthritis prevents her from starting the engine.Her fingers
have drawn quite a bit but she does everything else very well.
Bob Roller

Offline bptactical

• Starting Member
Re: Working on triggers
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 03:21:25 AM »
Sorry for you hardships Bob, you turn out a top quality product that is worth the wait.
May the sunshine warm you and light the way.
Hope the Mrs finds a bit of easing to her troubles as well.
Don't let people live in your head rent free...

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 04:26:00 AM »
Bob,
Murphy, also known by several other names, hits everyone sooner or later? But, it gets really hard and personal when that "everyone" is you and/or your family! Thinking of you and your wife and prayers are already on the way. God's Speed!
elkhorne

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 03:53:32 PM »
Good morning and thank  both of you for the replies.My wife has had joint problems for years
but takes a minimum of medication.She values NOT being doped to the point of becoming
non functional.So do I.Again,thanks to all who have contacted me about these triggers and
as I get them done I will notify you. I am making an adjustment on one thing.On orders of
over $100 I will pay the USPS flat rate which is a help and sometimes a hinderence.
Two SMR/Ohio rifle triggers are $120 and two Hawken style $140.I do believe that the
triggers I am offering are at least marginally better than most if not all the cast types and
I know mine cost more but the money has a short life span and the triggers ought to last
for at least a week ;D

Bob Roller

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 03:59:58 PM »
You certainly don't need to make excuses for the price of your triggers Bob. You should add another 100 bucks to your price, they'd still be a deal.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline oldtravler61

• Look,listen,learn enough said!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 06:11:45 PM »
  I'm with Mike on this. Bob your triggers are Excellent. Both in function , material and workmanship !  Beyond satisfied with my set. Bob hope the best for you and your wife. This getting older sure has it's challenges.  Oldtravler

Offline bptactical

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 07:52:06 PM »
Insert "Man, if I would have known I was going to live this long I would have........" quote.
Don't let people live in your head rent free...

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 11:27:16 PM »
I feel fine which I still think is odd when I consider I am 83 years into a century.
My wife has arthritis and as I said earlier,she can't reach thru or around the steering
wheel on our car to start it.She also has asthma and now another problem that will require
a urologist.She also has inconsistent sleep patterns which are not good
I'm not apologizing for my prices at all but sometimes we ALL need a break from the
words "Shipping and Handling".I never will understand the "handling" part.
We live modestly and know others do as well and the little boxes I use to send these
triggers in are free and I get them 15 or 20 at a time and the Post Office is not far at all.
Thanks to all of you guys.

Bob Roller

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 12:03:36 AM »
"I do believe that the
triggers I am offering are at least marginally better than most if not all the cast types
".  Bob, your triggers are WAAAAY better than ANY of the cast type, and I am sure that my grandson's grandson will still be using your trigger long after we are gone.
You could probably charge double, and we would still be getting a bargain.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline KC

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 12:32:26 AM »
Bob, I agree with everyone else, no reason to apologize for your prices. I feel lucky to have picked up a couple sets recently and pick them up occasionally just to admire the craftsmanship. There's no way an off the shelf cast set comes close. I hope everything smooths out for you and your wife.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 12:59:40 AM »
Hey guys,
I am REALLY flattered by the kind remarks about the triggers.Please notice
that I said on orders over $100.I still need the shipping on orders for only
ONE trigger.Thanks again,ALL OF YOU!

Bob Roller

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 02:14:52 AM »
Shoot, Bob, here I was thinking you were fishing for compliments, and you are just trying to get mail money!  But - that's better than BAIL money!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 03:11:01 PM »
Shoot, Bob, here I was thinking you were fishing for compliments, and you are just trying to get mail money!  But - that's better than BAIL money!

No mail money except on single orders and not fishing for any compliments. :)
Also NEVER any bad encounters with law enforcement at any level and now too
old to antagonize them. :'(
I hope I didn't convey the idea that my wife is an invalid.She is NOT but is limited
by arthritis and other problems that date back to childhood and an abusive step
father such as hearing loss due to being struck across her ears with an open hand
and denied such basics as eye exams and decent clothing for school.She has a
hearing aid that works and has had it for years.I probably need one but there is
not that much I want to hear anyhow.

Bob Roller

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 03:35:58 PM »
Also NEVER any bad encounters with law enforcement at any level and now too
old to antagonize them.
You're livin the life Bob. I got picked up for a dusty license plate about a week ago... ::) I can break the law and not even know it. :o
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline David Rase

• I know nothing
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 03:48:08 PM »
You're livin the life Bob. I got picked up for a dusty license plate about a week ago... ::) I can break the law and not even know it. :o
I think I still have some of your Iowa dust on my vehicle and I have been back home for 3 weeks. ;D
David

Offline Twotimer2019

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 05:33:12 AM »
Mr.roller, I'm shooting a Hawken's 50 with triggers you made in 1976,that's "at least a week's" worth.you do amazing work.god bless and wish the Miss"es' the best of luck.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 03:00:52 PM »
I am glad to hear that triggers I made over 40 years ago are still working.
Thanks for posting this information.In all the years I have been making triggers I
remember only ONE SMR/Ohio style trigger that I had to repair.It had a cracked
mainspring.I make a different style of front trigger tension spring than anyone else
as far as I know.It is a rectangular shape and if one side cracks or breaks the
unbroken side will keep the trigger working.This takes a bit longer to do but it
is consistent with my personal ideas about quality and my opinion of whoever buys it.

Bob Roller

Offline Twotimer2019

• Starting Member
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 10:37:53 PM »
Mr Roller, this is a testament to great,"Craftsmanship'and attention to detail on your part.my very good friend, James Kimbrell" built this rifle in 1976, it has a "Bill Large" match grade Barrel, and your triggers.i hope to shoot some next week, and after cleaning I will try and post a picture of your triggers on here.thank you for the great work you do.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 11:17:36 PM »
Mr Roller, this is a testament to great,"Craftsmanship'and attention to detail on your part.my very good friend, James Kimbrell" built this rifle in 1976, it has a "Bill Large" match grade Barrel, and your triggers.i hope to shoot some next week, and after cleaning I will try and post a picture of your triggers on here.thank you for the great work you do.

OK,please do post a picture of the 1976 vintage triggers.I know I have made
a lot of triggers over the years. I started making them at the request of the
late Wes Kindig in Lodi.Ohio in 1958.The Hawken style about 1966?Maybe.
Thank you for your comments on my work.It does what I say.It tells all who
see it what I think of myself and MOST important of all,the purchaser. :)$.

Bob Roller

Offline Twotimer2019

• Starting Member
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 04:53:11 AM »
Bob,my mom passed last Tuesday,05/14/19 having service tomorrow.it may be another week or so before i post photos.keep up the great work.regards, Robert Painter AKA Twotimer.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 03:49:44 PM »
Bob,my mom passed last Tuesday,05/14/19 having service tomorrow.it may be another week or so before i post photos.keep up the great work.regards, Robert Painter AKA Twotimer.

Robert,
Please accept our sincere condolences on the loss of your mother. My mother
passed away on 9 November 1998 at age 91.I was holding her hand when the
end came at 3:50PM that day.The loss of a parent IS a bad day usually.
No big rush on the pictures
Bob Roller

Offline Twotimer2019

• Starting Member
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2019, 12:11:13 AM »
Sincere thanks for the condolences,mom was 5 days shy of 96.she had a great life,dad has been gone 32 years and she was ready to join him I week.have a great weekend.will try and post nex