Author Topic: Help identifying old family rifle  (Read 1437 times)

Tolbert

Help identifying old family rifle
« on: May 04, 2019, 06:08:16 PM »
Hello folks, this is my first post and I come asking for help... I have inherited an old shotgun that was removed from the barn on my families homestead in Arkansas in the early 1920’s (when the property was sold). I am trying to ascertain the age and maker of the gun without success. I took it to an antique gun dealer in Dallas and beyond telling me it was Belgian made he was not much help. My dad took it to a gunsmith years ago and I think he took some liberties with some of the parts.

The gun is 48” long, barrel length 32”, bore is 3/4”.
Any information you can provide would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Tolbert

« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 06:59:05 PM by Tolbert »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Help identifying old family rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 06:20:33 PM »
It’s not a rifle.  It’s a common double barreled 12 ga shotgun.  Thousands of these are found all over.  Seems like every common family out in the country had one.
Andover, Vermont

Tolbert

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 06:57:22 PM »
 Welp, that’s embarrassing, fixed. Do you think the hammers are original? Look to be newer.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 07:02:50 PM by Tolbert »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 07:01:22 PM »
Did you check for charges? These things are often found and sometimes handled for years before someone finds out there's a load in the breech. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 07:18:14 PM »
Do you think the hammers are original?
Nope, they've been replaced.  Looks like there is writing on the left hand lock.  Can you read it?

As he said, many are still loaded.  Drop a dowel rod down each barrel and mark it at the muzzle.  Then hold it alongside the barrel and see where it falls.  It should be slightly forward of the nipple.  If more than an inch, it is probably still loaded; usually the left barrel but sometimes both.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Longknife

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 04:30:21 PM »
Put the locks on half cock, remove the two wedges that hold the barrel in the stock by tapping gently from the smaller end,, pull the barrels out of the stock. Now take a picture of the markings on bottom of barrels.....Ed
Ed Hamberg