Author Topic: Found out how long forever is Couple more pics of finished tang carving  (Read 6948 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
        How many Lion and Lamb rifles are known?

James Johnston in his book Accouterments shows one that was found in England along with
a 1776 Pennsylvania frock coat.Sometime in its life a bayonet was added.

Richard Henderson
That is the only one I know of. There may be others that have lions and lambs both in decoration but the one you are referring to is the only one I know of that is always commonly referred to as 'The Lion and Lamb" rifle. I personally don't believe the Lamb is a Lamb anyway....just thought I'd throw that out there... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
I actually got to see the Lion & Lamb in the museum of the American Revolution in Phila. last Sept....  Pretty cool as there was the L&L and not far away in another display was one of Christian Oerter's 1774 rifles, looked like it just came from his shop.  Oh, and by the way - I'm really liking your Lion & Lamb rendition Mike, looking forward to seeing the finished piece.   

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
It's getting closer. Got the box all sorted out and it actually works! Put on the tannic acid and ferric nitrate then scrubbed in the first coat of finish with a purple scrubby pad. Pretty spectacular piece of wood. Have to draw file the barrel and polish some misc brass parts now. 'Bout got 'er licked now!
Lion looks pretty cool....ROAR! ;D
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Wayne Holcombe

Bring it on.Can't wait.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
I can’t wait either.  That’s one of the neatest longrifles out there.  The figures seem to grow on me more and more.  They never really grabbed  my attention until reading some about this rifle.  Whoever grabs that one up is going to have a prize. 

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Mike you are doing a great job on this rifle and whoever your client is will be a lucky man. Job well done sir.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Mick C

Amazing!   Can't wait to see it finished.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Stoner creek

This thread has been quiet too long. Come on Brooks, show us something.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Craig Wilcox

I second Wayne's motion.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Been busy making rust! ;)

Offline t.caster

Quit teasing us! Don't make us issue you a subpoena!
Tom C.