Author Topic: But honey I need all this stuff  (Read 2974 times)

KILTED COWBOY

But honey I need all this stuff
« on: May 01, 2019, 09:38:04 PM »
So working on completing my first flinter and thought I better start getting all the stuff I will need to shoot it.
Jags,mops, patches, round balls, ball puller, long range rod, extra hickory ram rods, powder, powder measures etc.
Dropped  about $200.00 with TOW.
And haven't even got the powder horn yet.
Wife asked if I needed it all....
Of course I do i'm a guy.......

Offline Natureboy

Re: But honey I need all this stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 09:47:24 PM »
Well. KC--you're off to a good start, but how about the HC clothing and other accouterments? Bought a few at a time, it's a somewhat affordable activity, and a good way to hide the expense from a skeptical wife. I've always thought that the reenactment habit is a fun way to accumulate all sorts of "cool stuff." And I don't remember where I read it, but a guy said that his nightmare is that he dies, and his wife sells his guitar collection for what he told her they cost.

Offline 45-110

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 10:25:34 PM »
Yup can be big money if you have to buy everything versus making most of it. And as you know postage is not cheap either. A well stocked (with tools) small shop can save $$ in the end if you plan on playing this game for a while.
best
kw

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 12:08:59 AM »
As far as the clothes go, appeal to her for help.   Be her Ken doll.  She may not be able to resist. :)
Mike Lee

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 02:31:30 AM »
So working on completing my first flinter and thought I better start getting all the stuff I will need to shoot it.
Jags,mops, patches, round balls, ball puller, long range rod, extra hickory ram rods, powder, powder measures etc.
Dropped  about $200.00 with TOW.
And haven't even got the powder horn yet.
Wife asked if I needed it all....
Of course I do i'm a guy.......

I bought a cheap horn at Dixon's one year, long ago, only $175.00.
By jingy- here it is. it had a not-so-well turned spout, so I replaced it with a slightly better turned piece of Brazilian rosewood.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 04:07:47 AM »
If your wife is anything like mine, all you have to do when asked this question is walk to her closet and start counting shoes... Or to the bathroom and start counting makeup brushes and/or shampoo bottles... Or those danged Scentsy candle wax packets.

Disclaimer: I am in no way responsible for her reaction.

Mike

Offline retired fella

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 05:21:21 AM »
Even better buy your kit and give to " she who must be obeyed " as a birthday, mothers day, Christmas gift and if you are real good she will let you borrow it.  I did that with a spotting scope, worked like a charm, I think?  I even bought her a ride on mower  which she has yet to express any interest in.  I think I might be pushing the envelope.    :o :o

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 06:28:09 AM »
Forgot to mention buying tools.

Steve Patterson

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 07:44:53 AM »
Mine loves her wood splitter. She was out there with our 1 yr old son tied on her back with ear plugs in, pregnant with our second daughter, splitting oak one day a few years ago when I  came home from a strike team assignment. Our 86 yr old Korean war vet neighbor thought she was the coolest gal ever. I think she's pretty cool myself.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 08:37:02 AM »
Mine doesn’t say anything other than sometimes she wishes she were a flintlock rifle.   ;) 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 08:14:54 PM »
If your wife is anything like mine, all you have to do when asked this question is walk to her closet and start counting shoes... Or to the bathroom and start counting makeup brushes and/or shampoo bottles... Or those danged Scentsy candle wax packets.

Disclaimer: I am in no way responsible for her reaction.

Mike

OOOOOOOOH - I would not do that- again. :o

Once was enough - she asked- how many guns do you have. THAT stopped the argument. I did not know the answer to that one.
Daryl

KILTED COWBOY

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 08:25:57 PM »
I have tried that shoe argument with her in the past, her response was but when i buy a pair of shoes I don't have to spend more money on stuff to go along with them like you do with your guns. Should have never married a smart woman.

Ridge

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 03:21:47 AM »
My wife quickly learned that muzzleloading do-dads are cheaper than Harley do-dads.  She's fine if I go to Dixon's as long as we don't stop at any motorcycle stores along the way.

Offline Molly

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 04:27:06 AM »
You poor guys!  "My" rifles will soon surpass in numbers "his" rifles.  I have more horns and bags than he does.  I have knives and a hawk AND all the clothing to go with the period. I also have the neck knife made by Lally House and sold at the CLA auction last year. I have a 50,  40, 38, 32 an and a 25 cal and all the things needed to shoot them and I DO shoot them.  I'll add that "he" cleans them after shooting which I would rather not do.  Might break a nail. ::)

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 04:58:17 AM »
Even better buy your kit and give to " she who must be obeyed " as a birthday, mothers day, Christmas gift and if you are real good she will let you borrow it.  I did that with a spotting scope, worked like a charm, I think?  I even bought her a ride on mower  which she has yet to express any interest in.  I think I might be pushing the envelope.    :o :o

That's exactly what I do.  ;D
Psalms 144

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2019, 05:08:48 AM »
I have tried that shoe argument with her in the past, her response was but when i buy a pair of shoes I don't have to spend more money on stuff to go along with them like you do with your guns. Should have never married a smart woman.

LOL!!! Baloney!!!

I guarantee every pair of those shoes is matched with at least one certain outfit... and likely has a matching bag and some jewelery.

She isn't smarter than you... You just don't pay as much attention to all of the "stuff" she has... Cause we figure if it makes her happy, then so be it.

Mike

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2019, 06:01:12 AM »
You poor guys!  "My" rifles will soon surpass in numbers "his" rifles.  I have more horns and bags than he does.  I have knives and a hawk AND all the clothing to go with the period. I also have the neck knife made by Lally House and sold at the CLA auction last year. I have a 50,  40, 38, 32 an and a 25 cal and all the things needed to shoot them and I DO shoot them.  I'll add that "he" cleans them after shooting which I would rather not do.  Might break a nail. ::)

Well done, Molly. I've only got 35 rifles, 5 or 6 pelters and a bunch of handguns in the closet. I think I do actually outnumber her shoes, but only by a couple pair- maybe?
Daryl

Offline Molly

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2019, 01:22:16 PM »
Oh yes, many "other guns" that came along before the flint bug struck.

KILTED COWBOY

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2019, 06:10:55 PM »
Molly, your husband is a lucky man.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2019, 05:39:09 AM »
KC... You do realize I'm just giving you a hard time?

Mike

Online Pukka Bundook

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2019, 04:24:37 PM »
For doodads and add-ons, I Did buy a mainspring vise, but that is it. Rests homemade, (not powder though, Oh and yes, bought some ball moulds!!)