Author Topic: Scaled down Carolina Trade Gun  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Scaled down Carolina Trade Gun
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2019, 03:51:07 PM »
Your comment on cataracts gives me the chance to say I had my yearly exam yesterday
and all is fine and the internal eyeball pressure is 10.The doctor said that it would be a threat
beginning at about 22.This is glaucoma.
I have no idea what a South Carolina Trade Gun is but I think a minimum of 50 caliber would
be the starting place for a smooth bore.Also a shotgun style stock like the English 1000 yard
long range rifles use.I will never understand the idea of a crescent butt plate on any rifle.
I suppose it goes to antiquity with a background in ???????.

Bob Roller

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2019, 04:33:16 PM »
I would go with .54 cal for a smoothie, but that is just me.  Just be sure to use real black powder.

Bob, glad your eyes are doing well.  Had my annual by the VA two weeks ago, all fine.  Now, if they would just find a cure for spinal arthritis....
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2019, 10:52:53 PM »
I would go with .54 cal for a smoothie, but that is just me.  Just be sure to use real black powder.

Bob, glad your eyes are doing well.  Had my annual by the VA two weeks ago, all fine.  Now, if they would just find a cure for spinal arthritis....

A 54 would be even better for a smoothbore.Even a 54 caliber rifle with 100 grains of 3fg isn't hard to manage.

Bob Roller

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2019, 04:22:54 PM »
Strangely, the newest hot thing for turkeys in the unmentionables is a .410.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2019, 07:21:13 PM »
That does seem strange Eric as some, may be lots of those unmentionables want to shoot their game at 1000 yds. plus. For the challenge they say, I guess trying to get closer isn,t a challenge any more.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2019, 12:44:24 AM »
Maybe a long range .410 could be made ;D ;D

Bob Roller

Offline badwolf

• Starting Member
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2019, 12:31:03 PM »
Look into tungsten super shot , my 7 yr old grandson  has killed 2 turkeys with his 410 with apex #9 shot at 43 and 25 yds. Here's a 30 yd pattern. I don't know anything about using it in a muzzleloader,  i would say you'd need a plastic shot cup. Lots of guys on oldgobbler forum  are dropping their 12 gauges for a 410. Tungsten 9 penetrate like a lead 4

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2019, 06:12:13 PM »
 First off I would ignore any references to modern shotguns, and modern trap shooting, none of it pertains to what you seem to be interested in. The plain facts are that small gauge shotguns make a longer shot string. This is a problem when wing shooting, but not so much with more fixed targets like turkey, and squirrels. Smaller smoothbores produce a tighter pattern, without going to the non authentic period incorrect jug choking camp. The advantage of a muzzleloader is you have total control of what a given charge will be, unlike modern firearms, so you have a lot of variables to tinker with.
 Instead of building a plain grade trade gun, that as has been mentioned, will be troublesome due to the lock verses barrel size issues, think about a slender more elegant chiefs grade. That would allow you to use a more suitable small English, or French, lock depending on which style you prefer.

Hungry Horse