Author Topic: Jason L Harris rifle. Unicoi Cty TN  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Jason L Harris rifle. Unicoi Cty TN
« on: May 04, 2019, 08:12:13 PM »
Jason L Harris died  shortly after his release from  prison in Marshall NC. In 1865, Jason made a key to aid a sick friend jailed in the Confederate prison in Marshall, North Carolina. The friend escaped; but Jason was caught, jailed and died after release. Jason was an accomplished locksmith, gunsmith, blacksmith and fiddle maker.
Silver inlay signature.
44.25 inch barrel of 36 cal.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 03:46:04 AM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Jason L Harris. Unicoi Cty TN
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 11:54:19 PM »
 :o :o :o... A rifle by Jason L. Harris, marked exactly like this was sold today by a Pennsylvania auction house,... hammer price was $475,... was in great shape,.. Wonder if any member of this group might be the new lucky owner,...??? ... if so, post photos,.... !!! ... regards,... CCF..... 

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 01:08:37 AM »
 I’ll get some photos up For ya.  Do you think this ever had a nose cap?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 04:34:34 AM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 06:24:26 AM »
 :o :o :o... Congrats on this new rifle,... I also had a couple bids in, and am happy that you won her,.. she is a great addition to any collection,... !!... yes, I believe the nosecap is missing, and might actually be an old re-stock, too,.... Regards,... CCF,...

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 05:08:16 AM »
Interesting gun, thanks for sharing!!

Matt
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 05:52:05 PM »
Really nice firearm, and good detail on Harris's life and times.
That tubular handgrip, and "T-bar" finial on the trigger guard are certainly unique.
Kinda wish the guy had been able to whittle out another key from a bone or something to get himself out.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 07:50:52 PM »
The tubular T bar guard were used by several Unicoi County makers and someone suggested that a local
blacksmith was cranking them out for gunsmiths because they look the same on different makers.  Certainly
a characteristic of that very small area of Tennesee.  I wonder what this stock looked like before the toe
was broken off and the lower buttplate trimmed off and reattached.  It may have looked a bit more like
the rest of the guns from that area with the pointy toe.  Dr. Whisker states that Harris died 3 months after his release
from prison in his Tennessee book.  I'd love to know how this one ended up in Mercer PA.