Author Topic: Osage Orange Longrifles  (Read 5156 times)

Offline Bart

Osage Orange Longrifles
« on: May 07, 2019, 01:12:50 PM »
Anyone ever stocked a rifle using Osage Orange?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Osage Orange Longrifles
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 02:33:53 PM »
It could be done, but it's Too heavy. You can stock a gun from just about anything if you have the will to do it, but there usually drawbacks to most woods.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 04:06:32 PM »
Agree with Mike for a walkin' around gun.  Might work for a target gun, but most guys want their weight in the bbl if there's a limit.

I have seen a child-sized (maybe 3/4 scale) contemporary gun in Black Locust. BL is dense, durable, and rot resistant.

Hold to the Wind

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 04:16:30 PM »
I have cut a lifetime's worth of osage for bows, some is as heavy as an anvil, some is as light as cherry or maple, some is very curley, most is straight grained, some is very splintery, some carves like butter.

Overall I would use something else, you would have an almost black gunstock in about 30 years.

Here is the color change from bright lemon to a deep chestnut in about 10 years.

Here is a curley piece, the curl in osage is always tight like this. The curley stuff makes lousy bows.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 04:37:53 PM »
Osage or black locust plain sawn could work for an over the log rifle. A lot of work and extra dense plain sugar maple would do almost as well, weight wise. Persimmon is another super heavy wood.
Andover, Vermont

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 04:16:02 AM »
My mentor, Bob Walden got on a osage orange kick a few-really many -years back, made a couple long bows, and at least 1 Southern Mtn Rifle,iron mounts,in flint..
It is a bit heavy,but I carried it for several days deer hunting back then,and didn't mind the weight.Course, back then I was a heavy truck mechanic, and a 8-9-10 lb rifle twernt nuthin.
Makes for a swell looking gun when it ages, next time I am at his place I will get some pics,etc.
It can be done, and is a unique looking stock. Looks like fresh outta the hills of Arkansas. Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Bart

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 04:42:30 PM »
I would love to see that rifle.

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 05:06:03 PM »
Bart, I am gonna try to get over there soon as stuff quits breaking down here.Lord help. Shop a/c died 2 days ago, and was a stinky death. Got new one one the way. Yep, I shined on that rifle too. he made the mounts also. Have a goodun, Dave  8) 8)

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 03:35:28 AM »
Don't y'all give up on me, am planning on getting pictures this Saturday.
Have a goodun Dave  8) 8)

Offline Bart

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 08:36:23 AM »
Dave, I knew you'd come through. Thanks man!

Bart

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 03:45:39 AM »
I've used osage orange a couple of times to make great ramrods for rifles and pistols.  It wears like nothing else on this planet, and is virtually unbreakable.  It would make one tough gun stock if you could cut a board big enough to make a longrifle, even a half-stock.  My favourite self bow is of osage, and has cast very comparable to modern designed longbows.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 03:56:37 AM »
Hey Taylor, I am working on getting todays pics of this rifle onto computer.It is one tough ol smokepole. and the board was a biggun, came from central Ohio in the late 70s. Bob made 3 long bows and this rifle. Dave 8) 8)

specs are " OAL 53 1/2"
   LOP 13 1/2"
   Drop 4'
    barrel 1"x 39"x .54 douglas.
Lock is Dixie from the late 70s,early 80s
weight 9-10 lbs
Guard is from an original Len Meadows had at the time.3 piece hand forged. Buttplate is a casting. Everything else made by Bob Walden

Finish is homebrew walnut stain with  several coats of sealer, then some brew of boiled linseed oil  and dryer.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 04:27:57 AM by mountainman70 »

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 03:16:46 PM »
Nice grain pattern in that wood.  And a nice rifle, too.
Had a fellow in OK who was drying a couple sticks of Osage Orange for me, but moved away.  I'll have to ask him if he still has them.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 04:14:35 PM »
Bodock, the last Restocking you'll ever need!     8)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 12:20:32 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 06:48:31 PM »
Ramrod of Osage.

I love it. Osage supplied by friend Ron and finished by Taylor. In use, it has virtually ZERO bend, whereas the Hickory rod had some 'give'.
It is tapered, from just under 7/16" to 3/8".

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 07:19:18 PM »
Mountainman, that’s a good looking old rifle!  The only thing I would’ve done differently is the stain...the wood would’ve mellowed into a beautiful reddish brown all by itself with a little use and exposure to sunlight. It wouldn’t have stayed fluorescent yellow for very long!  But that’s just me.  Your pal did a great job!  As we say over here on this side of the Tug River, that stuff is harder than woodpecker lips.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 07:22:50 PM »
Great to see that rifle stocked in Bois d'Arc (French for wood of the bow).  Osage oxidizes to a nice rich colour if left to it's devices, but I stained my two rods for my Hawken with Fiebing's leather dye and rubbed 'em down with paste wax, as is my way.  I cannot tell the osage from the hickory now.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 09:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the compliments guys. Bob sorta hinted in addition to several bow blanks hidden away, there MIGHT be 'nuther gunstock lurking. No tellin what ol Bob got squirreled away. Dave

Offline okawbow

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2019, 04:08:15 PM »
I’ve been using Osage Orange for over 40 years in custom longbows. I make a model called the Osage Royale that is all Osage laminations and handle with clear fiberglass.

I’ve made 2 Osage Orange violins. One had a red cedar top. I’ve used it for fittings on sailboats, and even for bearings on machinery in a pinch. My favorite turkey call is one I made of Osage.

I have several large Osage boards left from a truck load I had cut over 30 years ago. However, I don’t think any are thick enough for a gun stock.

See how bright yellow the wood is at first. It will age to a beautiful golden orange brown.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Bart

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2019, 10:14:54 PM »
Makes a great axe or tomahawk handle as well. Here's one I fitted with Osage. The color it has turned is natural, no stains applied.

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2019, 11:28:49 PM »
Well, Bart, heres the answer to your question. Whattaya think? Dave  8) 8)

Offline Bart

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2019, 12:43:07 AM »
Dave, that is one nice longrifle!! I like it, and I think I need to stock one for myself with some hand forged mounts!! Thanks a bunch for taking the time to get photos and for posting them.

Respectfully,

Bart

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2019, 03:39:28 AM »
Bart, that is one handsome axe.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Jeff Durnell

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2019, 03:44:48 PM »
Glad I stumbled onto this thread. I'm an osage lover too. It's what I make most of my bows with and I have a bunch of it in the shop... nothing of the proper size and shape for a rifle though, but I could possibly see one in my future. I know where there are some HUGE osage trees that I was given permission to cut, and there are plenty of sawmills around. Hmmmm.