Author Topic: my new Club Butt Fowler  (Read 2320 times)

Offline adkmountainken

my new Club Butt Fowler
« on: May 07, 2019, 07:14:32 PM »
very happy to show of my Club Butt Fowler made by Roy Stroh. turned out EXACTLY like i oredred, a big, no nonsense mat and potatoes Fowler then can do it all! as many guns like this were found in my area i wanted to have one and hunt with it like so many from my area did years ago. sports a 46 inch Colerain barrel that i believe was intended for a Brown Bess but found its home with this beast. L&R lock throws a true "shower" of sparks. stock made from a really nice piece of Cherry and i love how it balances and comes to the shoulder. as bulky and heavy as a fowler like this looks and feels GREAT at the shoulder! 75 cal and i am casting round ball with a Jeff Tanner .765 brass mold which produces a 668 grain ball. shooting bare ball for deer and turkey loading with 100 grains FF, hornets nest, 2 ounces of #5 and topped with hornets nest. i have to say this is the FINEST trigger tuning and lock tuning i have saw on a fowler and a long time if not the BEST i ever shot. light trigger pull and lightning fast lock. i added a pic of a .54 rb next to the .75 i was so very close Sunday to killing a longbeard its not funny just a couple more steps....Can't wait to get some blood on this beauty and let it earn a name. for now my buddy Casey Capaz has aptly named it Fudd as he said i have never saw a gun like that other then in Loony Tunes! name fits and i resemble Elmer....

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: my new Club Butt Fowler
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 07:25:46 PM »
What a cool gun!
Andover, Vermont

Offline adkmountainken

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 07:30:53 PM »
Rich you should recognize the flint in the jaws my friend, it loves them the best! SHOWER of sparks from those beauties!

Offline old george

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 09:40:37 PM »
For some reason unknown to me, those club footed behemoths appeal to me. :o Very nice weapon Indeed.

geo
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 04:27:27 PM »
Very nice looking gun. Unusual molding below the wrist, haven't seen that before but think I like it.
Mark
Mark

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 06:25:38 PM »
These club butt fowlers are amazing in their balance and feel. How do you get that .765 ball down a .75 bore? It would be a chore in my 10 bore if I used a proper patch.     
                                                   Dan

Offline kudu

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 07:08:29 PM »
I really like like IT -  I would like to make one myself I think I would like a smaller bore 16 or 20 ga. probably.
I'd  like to shoot some "Trade" gun "smoothbore" woodswalk matches with it. Although "ITS NOT A TRADE GUN" They would allow it around hear.
 Its just gotta be a Flintlock smooth Bore 28ga minimum no rear sight above the Plane  of the Barrel

Offline adkmountainken

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 07:19:22 PM »
Dan,
       its actually a 10 guage and was uncertain what calibder to refer to it as hence .75, i have 2 Jeff Tanner ball molds the .765 goes down pretty tight on the 3 shot without cleaning, i also have a .751 i need to try.

Offline adkmountainken

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 07:34:17 PM »
its somewhere around 80 caliber

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 10:45:04 PM »
 I love these guns. Military muskets that were restocked during the American Revolution occasionally were restocked in this style. I have accumulated the parts for one, but haven’t actually started it yet. Well, maybe I have made a small start. I reworked a 1763 Charleville lock to reflect an earlier 1757 version.

Hungry Horse

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 01:21:30 AM »
Dan,
       its actually a 10 guage and was uncertain what calibder to refer to it as hence .75, i have 2 Jeff Tanner ball molds the .765 goes down pretty tight on the 3 shot without cleaning, i also have a .751 i need to try.
Whew! I was thinking about all the exercise you were gonna get stuffing that ball down the spout! I use the same ball in my 10 bore without a patch and it works well. I use a card wad over the powder and then some lubed tow, then the ball and then hold it in place with a wad of tow. If I don't fire the fowler immediately, I lightly ram it every so often to be sure it hasn't climbed up the tube. Works well. Wasp's nest is great when I can get it.
                                                 Dan

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 08:01:17 AM »
Looks sort of like a Magpul SGA for an 870, but in wood and a LOT older!!

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 03:35:04 PM »
Very nice looking gun. Unusual molding below the wrist, haven't seen that before but think I like it.
Mark
That wrist treatment was very common for these. Roy nailed it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 11:23:31 PM »
Used to see a lot of these around New England when I was much younger. There was a variant that we referred to as a "Marshfield gun" after the area where they were supposed to have been made. I was always   amazed at how nicely they handled and how light many of them were. Seems like Tileston was one maker, but it was long ago. Anyway, you have a fine fowler there.
                                                  Dan

Offline adkmountainken

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 11:30:21 PM »
Dan'l it shoots ;like a dream man, unreal fast lock speed and the trigger is as good as i have ever had on a rifle! i have a couple good,short video's of timing and lock speed you see pan flash and muzzleblast at darn near the same time!