Author Topic: Something old and something new  (Read 2943 times)

Offline Nordnecker

Something old and something new
« on: May 12, 2019, 02:57:38 AM »
Here is my attempt to re-create an original. Thanks to Charlie Burton for the barrel, Jim Chambers for the lock, and Mike Brooks for the castings for the buttplate and trigger guard. I'm to blame for everything else. Pics following.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 03:03:45 AM by Nordnecker »
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Nordnecker

Re: Something old and something new
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 03:07:45 AM »
Here's my first shot with it.

I was pretty excited about that. Here's 4 more with a load of shot on top.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 03:11:11 AM by Nordnecker »
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 03:14:39 AM »
This is my first actual bench copy of an original. It was a challenge. I will be the first to admit there are some obvious differences. I am not thrilled about the color of mine.

dice 1 dot

I must admit, I am going to miss having this old gun around. The owner graciously loaned it to me for this project.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 03:24:14 AM by Nordnecker »

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 03:49:01 AM »
Nordnecker, you certainly did a great job on that project. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 07:55:45 AM »
Excellent - what range was the shooting, pls?
Dang good pattern if 25 yards.  Bit of work and it's a birding load.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 08:03:15 AM »
Very nicely done, Nordecker!  You really captured it, did well on the engraving too.  Two thumbs up!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 08:16:09 AM »
Very nice work; and it really shoots, too.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 03:50:43 PM »
I like it!
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 05:17:25 PM »
Nicely done!  You may not be real happy with the color, but I think it looks a lot better than it did before, if it’s the same stock you were having issues with.  What did you end up doing to even out the color?

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 05:27:29 PM »
You did good. I'm glad those castings worked out, they look just like the original.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline vanu

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 06:06:27 PM »
I really like the concept of making a bench copy and leaving the antique as found, nice job.

Bruce

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 08:45:21 PM »
Thanks Guys. I have been looking forward to the day when I could post these 2 guns side by side. We don't see this very often. It's hard enough to photograph one gun, even harder to try to focus on two. Sorry for the blurry photo's. I thought they were better than they are.

Daryl- The shots were about 25 yards.

Ed- I tried everything to stain this stock. I finally ended up sealing the wood and using red oxide pigment in oil varnish. It got streaky and uneven. I tried rubbing it out, adding it back, finally just gave up and used soot, furniture wax, whatever. This "free" stock was very expensive.

The Bbl is 46 1/4" long, .54 cal smooth bore. It weighs in at 6.7 lbs. Lop 13 5/8ths.

The original is signed S. Lauck. A true VA smoothbore.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 08:52:59 PM »
Looks really good. Keep rubbing the stock with linseed and soot and it should darken in time.

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 01:41:19 AM »
I like it and think you did a great job of recreating an original.  Real nice work!!

Offline Charlie B

• fcibarrels
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 01:43:28 AM »
Very nice!
Charlie

Offline Sawfiler

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 02:15:39 AM »
Very nice. Looks even better in person!!  I appreciate you letting me see your work and sharing some of the hard lessons you have learned. Great copy and beautiful gun regardless of being a copy or not. Engraving is beautiful as is the wood work. I look forward to seeing another bench copy.
Wish I enjoyed what makes my living
Did what I do with a willin' hand
Some would run, ah, but that ain't like me
So I just dream and keep on bein' the way I am

Offline BarryE

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 04:13:39 AM »
Good work! 

Offline Mick C

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 11:35:51 PM »
I'd happily take the blame for getting those results!  Beautiful work.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 04:59:10 PM »
 Looks right, Well done. Pictures are one thing but having an original that is right in hand is hard beat.

Tim   

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 02:14:52 PM »
  Pictures are one thing but having an original that is right in hand is hard beat.

Tim
It is a blessing and a curse. When working with a bunch of parts or from a picture, you are merrily working along with what you have/ think is right. When you have the actual gun right there, any difference is glaring right at you. I had to re-work the forward extension of the TG on this gun after engraving it. I see from the picture that I forgot to re-engrave the lines in front of the bow.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 12:25:36 PM »
 You look to have done a good job of reproducing that gun, looks well finished and by the looks of the target a potential tack driver. Guess you always see the faults in your own work. Still I reckon to be pretty pleased if that was my effort. Well done.
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !