Author Topic: kibler kit rifle by Marty Rabino  (Read 3808 times)

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
kibler kit rifle by Marty Rabino
« on: May 12, 2019, 10:09:56 PM »
  This is the work of Master Engraver Marty Rabino. Beautiful finish.

Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: kibler kit rifle by Marty Rabino
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 10:47:18 PM »
Beautiful work; impressive.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 10:55:15 PM »
I 2nd that. Love the color and finish.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 11:12:36 PM »
Did he go through an apprenticeship program of some kind?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 04:31:06 AM »
Mike.
  I don't think so. Marty has been engraving for over 30 years. He taught art at a college in NY.  He does some great western scenes. Look him up on the internet.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 02:10:17 PM »
Mike.
  I don't think so. Marty has been engraving for over 30 years. He taught art at a college in NY.  He does some great western scenes. Look him up on the internet.
He obviously does good work.  Just wondered how he got the term 'Master" hung before his name. There are a lot of really good engravers out there these days, some of them nearly unknow. I'm wondering at which point you get to be a 'Master"? Is it just a consensus sort of thing? One of the best engravers I have seen lately is Chuck Edwards. I wonder if he is a "master" yet? ???
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 03:19:13 PM »
Just wondered how he got the term 'Master" hung before his name. There are a lot of really good engravers out there these days, some of them nearly unknow. I'm wondering at which point you get to be a 'Master"? Is it just a consensus sort of thing?

Read the PDF on this page.

http://fega.com/about/MasterEngraverInfo.asp
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 03:27:19 PM »
Just wondered how he got the term 'Master" hung before his name. There are a lot of really good engravers out there these days, some of them nearly unknow. I'm wondering at which point you get to be a 'Master"? Is it just a consensus sort of thing?

Read the PDF on this page.

http://fega.com/about/MasterEngraverInfo.asp
Lots of rules. ::)

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 05:27:03 PM »
Lots of rules.
Like the old saying goes, "If you want to run with the 'Big Dogs', you have to lift your leg high."
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 06:41:16 PM »
Mike.
  There is an organization called the [Firearms Engraver Guild of America] They have strict rules and qualifications for certifying Master Engravers. An Engraver must pass a rigid test and be voted in by  the other Master engravers in the Guild in order to Qualify for master level. There are only about 55 master engravers in the USA that are in the Guild. However there are no doubt others in the country who could qualify. I my self am a certified master engraver in the guild. It took me seven years to achieve that level. google FEGA.
 PS--- most of the ones you think are very good could not qualify for masters in the guild

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 06:42:17 PM »
Lots of rules.
Like the old saying goes, "If you want to run with the 'Big Dogs', you have to lift your leg high."
It's hard to tell who the "real" Big Dogs are these days. A lot of small dogs with big dog ideas trying to run with the pack.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 06:48:37 PM »
Mike.
  There is an organization called the [Firearms Engraver Guild of America] They have strict rules and qualifications for certifying Master Engravers. An Engraver must pass a rigid test and be voted in by  the other Master engravers in the Guild in order to Qualify for master level. There are only about 55 master engravers in the USA that are in the Guild. However there are no doubt others in the country who could qualify. I my self am a certified master engraver in the guild. It took me seven years to achieve that level. google FEGA.
Jerry, no offense intended here, but I'm completely unimpressed with all of those types of organizations. They always seem to be a bunch of elitists smacking each other on the back bragging to each other about how great they are. There are probably a few organizations I could qualify for if I put any effort to it but my ego doesn't need that kind of  stroking, I'll just let my work speak for it self with out any fancy titles in front of my name, I just don't need or want it. I get far more pleasure in a days worth of good fishing. ;)

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 07:02:54 PM »
 The FEGA is not like that. It is more of a teaching and learning Organization. There are no more than 3 or 4 engravers outside of the guild who can equal the best in the guild. The good old boy status don't get you anyplace in the guild. Steve Lyndsay could, I'm not sure about Shippers. I have never seen Shippers gold work.  It takes more than a great line engraver to qualify. You have to be good at gold work and bolino or bank note style besides

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 07:17:56 PM »
The FEGA is not like that. It is more of a teaching and learning Organization. There are no more than 3 or 4 engravers outside of the guild who can equal the best in the guild. The good old boy status don't get you anyplace in the guild. Steve Lyndsay could, I'm not sure about Shippers. I have never seen Shippers gold work.  It takes more than a great line engraver to qualify. You have to be good at gold work and bolino or bank note style besides
Sounds like it has absolutely nothing to do with traditional ML rifle decoration, You have to be good at gold work and bolino or bank note style besides....so what's the point? If you want to engrave modern guns I'm sure it's a big deal.

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 07:34:39 PM »
  Sad to say but there is more in the world than longrifles. There were Engravers in Germany and England three hundred years ago that could Qualify for Masters in the Guild today.  Some of the work done on the German Jeagers [ predecessors of the long rifle] would be hard for some of the masters today to equal.  The shape of the metal it is done on has little to do with the quality. Masters in Kindergarten are different than masters in College. No offense just a fact. This should be done in the back fence section I think.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 09:32:30 PM »
I think all of those organizations are great. If they make people feel better about their work then that's great. I know I have seen muzzle loading "Masterpieces" posted on this forum by "Master" members of some of these  exclusive guilds that are truly horrific. If that type of work can qualify someone as a 'Master" in those guilds than I can see that they  really don't mean much except to those who's egos require some sort of important title. Certain personalities demand important sounding titles, some don't. I judge all work on craftsmanship, not whether or not the builder has some guild title before their name.
 Take for instance the gun you pictured in your first post. It's a nice looking gun, but it's a snap together kit by Kibler. All this guy did was do a little quick decoration on it. I have seen MANY of these kits done far better and with more imagination. The edge of the buttplate is too thick as is the end cap on the patch box cover, things a "Master" shouldn't tolerate. the engraving is nice, but there are many people on this forum that do far better work than that, and they aren't referred to as "Masters". The "Beautiful finish" isn't any better or worse than what most guys on this forum are capable of.
 So, I'm now wondering, why did you chose this particular fellow and gun to make a post on?

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 11:59:57 PM »
 Your opinion only.  Marty nor I nor any other Master Engraver has imposed the title of master upon himself.  It is a title of recognition by our peers in America.
 You may or may not be a Master of what you do.
   This is not the only long rifle Marty has built. He has built other from scratch. I basically jut showed this because I love the finish he did. Phil Coggan , Ron Smith and some of the best Engravers in the world started by engraving and building long rifles. Then they progressed.  Some people drop out of school in the third grade. If your ego doesn't require flattering why keep posting your work on the forum? Any normal person likes recognition for his or her achievements. Your work is good Mike but it's only good in it's small class. There are thousands of long rifle builders. It's not like it was 50 years ago when most builders made all their own parts. I am perfectly aware of the fact that some of my long rifles are extreme but they are contemporary and people buy them for large amounts of money. So who cares. I got tired of making guns for $1750..00  25 years ago. Now mine go for $29,000.00 and up. Believe me, when you get old it will make a difference.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 12:28:01 AM »
HA! I already feel old and I'm falling apart at a rapid rate so I know exactly how you feel. One day soon I'm just going to quit and that will be it.
 I think we should just agree to disagree, I always feel better when I disagree with you anyway, it's habit forming if nothing else...... ;D

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 03:55:51 PM »
That’s it ...  :o ... I still have some popcorn left ...
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 05:38:57 PM »
I too find the titles a bit odd, but can say with authourity that Marty is deserving of this if anyone is.  He sent me some casts of his work and it is absolutely amazing!  I can't express how blown away I was after seeing it. 

Thanks for sharing this nice work here.  It's great to see.

All the best,
Jim

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 05:39:40 PM »
That’s it ...  :o ... I still have some popcorn left ...
Sorry, that's all folks!

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 06:43:09 PM »
"Master Brooks"........I don't even like the sound of that. :-\

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 07:28:36 PM »
A quick view of Mr. Rabinos' work. A link only as his guns are generally out of category here.

http://fega.com/memberwebpages/MasterDetail2.asp?idparam=46&recidparam=430

Looks like masterful work to me!

And scroll through the link to see what engravers are doing today!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 07:37:14 PM by JTR »
John Robbins