Author Topic: ROAR!  (Read 4162 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
ROAR!
« on: May 13, 2019, 02:24:43 PM »
Check out Kettenburg's new gun on Art's blog. I have seen him do this type of gun in the "typical" Kettenburg way. This one is of course "as new" and he explains a bit about his evolution from new to aged to new.  Personally I like it, but I've been a big fan boy of his work for a long time. Discuss amongst yourselves.... ;)
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Re: ROAR!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 04:05:51 PM »
I'm a fan of anything he does. Thanks for posting mike.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 06:20:47 PM »
I just looked at it minutes before logging into ALR.  It's one sweet rifle.  I love the architecture.  And I like both aged and as-new guns, so it was neat to see this.
Jerry

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 09:22:17 PM »
Always impressed with Eric’s confidence. Of course he’s already proven himself every freaking time but it’s still impressive. The inlay behind the cheek - is never have the confidence to do that as folksy as he has... but it’s right.
Andover, Vermont

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 09:38:22 PM »
Is there any further information ie barrel, caliber , etc  , stock  [ looks like walnut with a varnish finish ? ]

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 10:06:57 PM »
I guess some people just "have the eye" and automatically know what will look right.  All builders learn from their mistakes and from other builders; but GREAT talent goes only to those born with it.  I've seen this over and over in other endeavors and I am friends with a few of them.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mick C

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 11:46:19 PM »
I really like it too.  But i was a little stunned by the story of Kettenberg's friend using the but of his first gun to stoke a fire.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 05:41:59 AM »
I love his Angstat folky weird rifles that he builds the best. His other work is nice too, but his folky stuff really shines I think.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 03:43:24 PM »
I guess some people just "have the eye" and automatically know what will look right.  All builders learn from their mistakes and from other builders; but GREAT talent goes only to those born with it.  I've seen this over and over in other endeavors and I am friends with a few of them.

Isn't that the true Artist coming out, being able to see what you want in your head and the ability to transfer turn to hard copy.
 Beautiful rifle, as new or aged.

Tim C.   

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 08:40:56 PM »
Great rifle Eric!  I will admit that If I hadn't seen your name listed as the maker, I would not have guessed it was done by you! ;D     
Joel Hall

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 12:08:05 AM »
Always been a big fan of Erics work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Great to see some new stuff from him!!!!!!!

Mitch

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 03:46:43 AM »
  Exceptional work...!   Oldtravler

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 06:15:15 PM »
Took me a couple of days to figure out the thread title and click on it - thanks so much for the kind words, guys.  Considering just how much talent is displayed on this site on a daily basis, I'm quite grateful for the comments and of course it's always nice to get an ego boost!  I did this without aging because I really wanted to document - imho - the way I believe someone like Peter Angstadt or Stoffel Long or Jacob George, all working in rural areas of eastern Berks Co. and dealing almost exclusively with rural customers, may have supplied a rifle to a purchaser. 

For anyone interested in the finish, the rifle is plain maple scraped down, hit with a single treatment of a mild aqaufortis to create a golden/warm brown base.  Burnished down with coarse cloth quite heavily, then sealed with seedlac.  I made up a 'varnish' using lead boiled oil with some cheap brown colophony resin, then mulled in a bit of transparent iron oxide by eyeball until it became something of a red-orange chestnut color (did not want to go too red in this region) and rubbed it on in a single coat.  When dry, a single very thinnned coat of plain oil, then wax.  With a couple of sunny days for polymerization, the entire finish can be done in only a few days and no residual tack or stickiness at all, and no modern products used.  Two coats of the colored varnish would have created a very red 'Lehigh' red violin varnish, although I probably would have used a better resin/gloss agent for a Lehigh.

Thanks guys!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 06:57:55 PM »
Wow. Beautiful rifle and I enjoyed the article.  Eric is definitely on top of the list of makers who inspire us green horns.   

Offline t.caster

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 05:20:43 PM »
I love it! Of course I've always been a big fan of Eric's artwork. I have to admit to referring back to his website for references when I was building my recent Peter Angstat rifle. Since pictures in books of original rifles are usually limited to side shots and often grainy, I kept going back to Eric's sight to "see how Kettenburg did it". Not trying to "copy" him but to use his interpreted examples as artistic inspiration!
I consider Eric and his body of work as a National Treasure in every sense of the word! Thanks Eric!

Tom C.
Tom C.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 07:48:05 AM »
Great stuff. I'm always impressed.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 06:06:33 AM »
Not often emulated, but what a great interpretation.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell