Author Topic: She’s finally done  (Read 3942 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
She’s finally done
« on: May 15, 2019, 03:40:34 AM »
This is my first build from a plank.  I apologize for the billion pictures but I’d like the experts to fill me in. I received a lot of advice from this forum and I thank all of you.  The wood was from Stoner Creek and  I followed the Mike Brooks tutorial.  This was the most fun I’ve had in years.  I can’t wait to shoot it. It’s a .36 cal 44” A weight Colerain barrel.  It has a 13 1/2 trigger pull, 1/8 offset and a zornes classic lock.  I tried to build it in the Lehigh style of John Rupp.  It’s finished in Tried and True and Kibler’s Iron Natrate. First time I’ve ever engraved.  I’m not a Master. Haha.  Notice the copper in the toe plate taken from the original rupp rifle.  This was so much fun. Thanks again everyone for the advice.  Mike, Wayne, David and whoever told me to use my thumb and finger to feel the square edge,  you saved me in the end.   Thanks again!!  On to horns!!

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 02:54:45 PM by Afghanvet »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: She’s finally done
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 04:03:22 AM »
Let me be the first to offer congratulations.  This rifle is far nicer than my first build...far far nicer!!  You will enjoy shooting this rifle for the rest of your life, unless you sell it to a complimentary admirer.  I caution against that.  But even if that happens, your next one will be better than the first, and so on.
Nicely done Sir!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 04:07:57 AM »
Fine job Mike. Not many makers out there who’s work looks that good that fast. You’re blessed with a gift! Now keep that ball rolling. I’ll take your next project!! The parts are all here.
Congratulations.
Wayne
Stop Marxism in America

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 04:09:34 AM »
I agree, looks great! Bring it up to St. Albans next month and try it out.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 04:11:29 AM »
Now that is one slender looking sleek machine. Very nice .

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 04:34:12 AM »
Looks great Mike!  I hope this old Dickert I keep avoiding comes out half as nice!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 02:53:34 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I have a walnut plank on the menu next.  I’m not completely sure what I’m going to do with it. 

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 02:59:58 PM »
Dang, Mike!  You set the bar pretty high for the rest of us - great job and congrats.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

KILTED COWBOY

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 03:37:07 PM »
Y'all who build from a plank of wood just amaze me.
I have trouble with kits!
I wish I had started this hobby earlier in life before my eyesight and arthritis problems kicked in.
Beautiful rifle AV. It is an inspiration.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 03:38:47 PM »
Congratulations on a really fine build !    That rifle is way better than my first ....you have an eye for detail .   Have fun shooting it  :)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 03:45:02 PM »
Exceptional! You have incredible natural talent. That's one of the hardest schools out there to do and you made it look easy. I like the color and finish....I like your carving too, you really did well with the parting tool, got the flat spots out of the volutes, very good.
 I'll teach Wayne how to engrave then he can teach you. You did well with your engraving, you just need a brush up on your sharpening skills. My sharpening method is easy, even I can do it.
 I envy your drive, I used to have drive like that! :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 03:49:34 PM »
Great job. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing your next work.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 04:54:02 PM »
 That looks really good for a first build, I see some great builds down the line for you, look forward to following them.

Tim C.

Offline BarryE

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 05:02:03 PM »
That was a great job for your first rifle!

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 05:37:05 PM »
 :o :o... Very, Very nice, Mike,... !!! ... as I've always said,... If I didn't like Tennessee rifles so much, my favorite would be Lehigh Valley rifles,..!!! .... and you have done an expert job with this one,.... BTW,.... more original Tennessee rifles were stocked in black walnut than any other wood,... (hint, hint...!!!)... well done and regards,.... Cades Cove Fiddler,......

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 06:02:42 PM »
Thanks fellows.  I did two parts kits prior to this plank.  Thanks for the tip Mike.  It seems that when I learned how to sharpen my chisels to razor sharp, I took a pretty big leap forward.  It only makes sense that it's the same with engraving.  I never really made the connection until you mentioned it.  Any reason to visit Wayne's place is a good day.  If he would allow me to move my camper to his property, I'd go off the grid and live there.  HAHA!!  Cowboy,  you would be surprised the difference in dealing with a plank.  I don't want to say that it is easier, but in a lot of ways, the parts kits can hold you back.  They limit you in ways where a plank doesn't.  Hope that makes sense.   

Offline Richard

• North of 54
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 06:49:39 PM »
As Clark's dad would say "She's a beaut".  Great work!
All the elements flow together nicely. I also like the aging that you did on her.

Richard

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 07:03:11 PM »
Fantastic job. I think you’ll look back on ol’ #1 fondly. Well done.

Offline msellers

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 09:05:25 PM »
Mike,
Very nice work. That will be treasured forsure. As Taylor said don't sell your first one no matter how much you dislike it. I have always regretted selling the first of anything I have madw.
Mike

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 09:05:45 PM »
Good job on your first, and certainly not last piece!!!
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 10:41:06 PM »
Good job on your first, and certainly not last piece!!!

OUTSTANDING IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT!My first one was done in a High School shop
class in 1954 and looked like something that floated up from the Titanic.This one of yours
is professional work of the first rank.

Bob Roller

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 11:06:58 PM »
She's beautiful.  Everything about it looks great to me.  I can't begin to understand how you did that on your first from a plank.
What a treasure.  Your inletting and stock architecture/finish are excellent.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 11:14:15 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 11:38:18 PM »
Outstanding!
That's a respectable effort at any level, but great for the first one from a blank.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline t.caster

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2019, 01:10:39 AM »
You got yerself a sweetheart of a rifle there! Good shaping and carving!
Tom C.

Offline yellowhousejake

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2019, 04:11:59 AM »
Very very nice. I am working on a squirrel rifle now from a plank and few parts. I don't have any carving to do, but it will need  some engraving. How many trys did it take you to do the engraving? I had signed up for the Shippers class and it got canceled, so I looked at the test plates and decided to just start on my own. None of the engraving I have done so far looks as good as what you have.

DAve