Author Topic: She’s finally done  (Read 3939 times)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Re: She’s finally done
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2019, 04:23:09 AM »
Way to go, Mike, you will go far,Pilgrim !! Great to see y'all young fellers takin up the trade,and ,like has been said, you are a natural at this. Keep on building, bro.Yep, ya cant build just ONE !!hahahaha Dave F 8) 8)

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2019, 04:25:02 AM »
I started to write a comment earlier today and was side tracked by something. Any how real nice rifle Mike. I really like the carving on it and how clean it is.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2019, 04:33:04 AM »
Afghanvet, you blow me away. What a beautiful rifle for a 1st - well done. Apart from the lock panel lengths there is nothing not to like about this rifle.
Amazingly well done - bravo!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2019, 04:41:45 AM »
Thanks Mountain Dave,  Mr. Talbert and Mr. Roller, Brian, Daryl, Caster and everyone else.  DAve,  I practiced lines and swerves on couple small plates.  I can’t give you any advice on engraving because I would be talking out of my @ss.  I don’t know enough to help you out and I’d probably hurt you more than help. I really didn’t practice a whole lot.  The parting tool helped me with what little engraving I did.  I used the same sort of motion with a small hammer and square graver. I studied a couple examples in Shumway and from the KRA disk.  I looked at lots of examples of the type of look I was going for for this type of rifle.  I’d take the class if you get the chance.  Having the chance to watch an expert work and give you pointers is as good as it gets.  When an expert on here gives you advice,  read it over and over.  There’s a lot of experience and knowledge in their advice and you can pull a lot of information from everything they say.  Never blow off any of the experts advice or comments and don’t take offense from things they say. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 05:25:01 AM by Afghanvet »

Offline pjmcdonald

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2019, 05:58:03 AM »
Mike,
I consider myself an apprentice builder, at best. You and your work are inspiring. I agree with you wholeheartedly regarding classes and listening to the advice from the masters here. Thanks for sharing photos of your work. Look forward to seeing more.

Incidentally, I’ve served with a Mike Lyons from NJ National Guard and several Lyons from MS Guard. Wonder if any are your kin folk.

Regards,
Paul

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2019, 06:42:02 AM »

Incidentally, I’ve served with a Mike Lyons from NJ National Guard and several Lyons from MS Guard. Wonder if any are your kin folk.

Regards,
Paul

Possibly.  My line came from a William Lyon over on the Hopewell ship in 1635 and landed in Massachusetts Bay.  My great grandfather added the “s”.  Most folks with the same last name can trace back to a common ancestor.  It’s really odd.  If I go back deeper,  I had relatives in the Glamis Castle in Scotland.  The Queens mother is in my line. Her dad was a Lyon from the Glamis Castle. What in the world happened for a 14 year old orphan to leave that royalty life to come here and turn into a bunch of dirt poor farmers and plumbers who mingled with female Native Americans is a mystery.  Had to be religious reasons.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 06:45:08 AM by Afghanvet »

Offline alacran

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2019, 02:09:58 PM »
That is a great build. I don't know much about Lehighs, but yours is graceful and well executed. What I admire the most, since following your work through your first builds, you are not afraid to tackle the unknown and let the chips fly. Excellent.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline kentuckyrifleman

• Central KY
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2019, 03:57:33 PM »
Wow. It's accomplishment enough to work this well, but to do it this fast? That's impressive. It wasn't that long ago you brought your previous project to Boonesborough.

Will this be at CLA?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2019, 04:42:43 PM »
  Mike I seem to be late to the party. That is one fine looking rifle. You did good. Patience and sharp tools is the key..! What I really like about your rifle is the minor little scratches and such. It shows usage and character. Never did like guns that were to perfect.
  You did real well. Someday when I get the nerve I'll post my first gun I built from a plank. Now I got to pick Mike Brooks brain on that sharpening tip.
 Once again super nice looking rifle..!   Oldtravler

Offline Curly Bean

• Starting Member
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2019, 05:06:34 PM »
She is a dandy Mike. Can’t wait to see it in person.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2019, 03:41:10 AM »

I just have to ask....in this image, if I draw an imaginary line down your sights, and from your tang to the butt plate, what I seem to see is a severe CAST ON!  The stock appears to bend to the left - into the shooter's cheek!  I am hoping it is an optical delusion because of the drop at the comb and heel.  Can you comment?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2019, 03:51:18 AM »

I just have to ask....in this image, if I draw an imaginary line down your sights, and from your tang to the butt plate, what I seem to see is a severe CAST ON!  The stock appears to bend to the left - into the shooter's cheek!  I am hoping it is an optical delusion because of the drop at the comb and heel.  Can you comment?

I see what you’re saying.  It’s some sort of illusion because there’s very little cast off the other direction.  That picture is also showing my tang bent way way to the left.  I don’t know what happened with that shot.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 07:32:26 AM by Afghanvet »

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2019, 05:05:55 AM »
I see what you’re saying.  It’s some sort of illusion because there’s very little cast off the other direction.  That picture is also showing my tang bent way way to the left.  I don’t know what happened with that shot.
Caution, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 03:14:48 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2019, 04:57:45 PM »
   Mike since she has a flaw now. You should give it to me. Promise I'll take care of it. then you can start on another. Just trying to help you out.... Lol
Oldtravler

Offline Daryl

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2019, 06:36:55 PM »
Cast-on, or cast off - if it fits and you shoot it well, such is life. In other words, No Problem.
Daryl

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2019, 06:48:02 PM »
Very nicely done!
John
John Robbins

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2019, 06:59:51 PM »
OK.  Now I'm happy!  Your second image says everything.  Well done.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mr. Bubbles

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2019, 10:33:59 PM »
What did you finally decide on as a stain / finish / process?  That's one of the most time consuming aspects of building I think.  It looks nice what ever it is that you used.

Rupp and Moll Lehighs are really tricky to get the lines right on.  So many guys terminate the nose of the comb too far back, drop the wrist too far, or make the belly curve too deep.  You left your wrist high, carried the comb nose forward far enough, and resisted the urge to deepen the belly curve.  This gun came out a LOT better than your last one.  It's gratifying to do these from a blank isn't it?

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2019, 12:37:45 AM »
I ended up using a grey scotch bright pad applying two doses of Kiblers magic potion and then with  the same pad adding several coats of Tried and True varnish.  Then finished it off with Johnson’s paste wax. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2019, 01:04:21 AM »
Yeah- that's nice!

Daryl

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2019, 03:35:24 AM »
That is a fine looking finishing job.  That step is make-or-break, and you did yourself credit.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Mick C

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2019, 12:09:16 AM »
Beautiful riflegun!   Hat's off! 
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!