Author Topic: Sights on a smoothbore  (Read 910 times)

Offline R.J.Bruce

Sights on a smoothbore
« on: May 15, 2019, 04:23:50 AM »
When putting sights on a smoothbore octagon to round barrel, mounted in a fowler-style stock, that is intended mostly for shooting like a rifle; how exactly do you determine the height of the front sight??

1. Do you take the breech and muzzle diameters, add them together, divide by two, and use that measurement as a starting point??

I would be interested in using a large diameter, tapered brass bead front sight similar to the ones that Daryl has described in several recent posts.

2. Are there any members here that might be capable of creating a relatively realistic rendition of a snapping turtle front sight base in steel that could be soldered to a thin-walled barrel?? I understand that most animals executed during our time frame were not realistic, but instead just likenesses. That being said, I would like to be able to recognize the front sight base as an actual snapping turtle.

I am also thinking of pairing up a snapping turtle front sight base with the tapered brass bead front sight with one of Lowell Haarer's, tang-mounted, ghost ring rear sights.

All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
              R.J.Bruce

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Sights on a smoothbore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 06:23:27 AM »
I know fellas who could make that front sight but only for their kin. Otherwise they’d spend their time another way. 

Take the height of the rear sight above the bore and make the front 1/16” lower.  That should get you in the ballpark. 

Andover, Vermont

Offline R.J.Bruce

Re: Sights on a smoothbore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 07:01:36 AM »
I know fellas who could make that front sight but only for their kin. Otherwise they’d spend their time another way. 

Take the height of the rear sight above the bore and make the front 1/16” lower.  That should get you in the ballpark. 

Thanks, Rich
                       R.J.Bruce