Author Topic: A tough turkey hunt  (Read 1862 times)

Lobo

A tough turkey hunt
« on: May 15, 2019, 02:31:28 PM »
Turkey hunting was tough this season. Bird population was down and those that were there were more wary. At the beginning of the season the Gobblers were with the hens and there was no way I could coax then within range of my new 16ga Fusil Fine.

The last couple days of the two week season was light rain, just wet enough to make you check occasionally to be sure there was dry powder in the pan. On the next to the last morning I was again in the woods before light listening for that magic sound of a tom turkey as he awoke on his roost. It had been quiet for the last few days with no turkey sightings or gobbling.  I would have been discouraged but for the fact that I was in the woods with my new Flintlock, stroking her and telling her to be patient. I had named my new gun "Matilda" which means fierce in battle. The name came to me one day as though from an unseen source , the gun was still in the process of being built.

As Matilda and I sat and watched a fox squirrel scurrying around, a faint gobble came in my good ear. I couldn't tell how far away he was but it sounded like a fare piece. I reached in my call bag, bypassing the box call and the wingbone call and took out my diaphragm call. I knew that call had a better range and I wanted him to hear me. I gave a few loud clucks....no response. I waited a bit and called again....no answer. I thought he has to hear that,... I'll bet he is coming in silent

I sat and waited and watched in the direction I had first heard the gobble. I checked the power in the pan and held Matilda at the ready.

Then I saw a movement back in the pines,..a light silvery something moving slowly in my direction. Then I saw the red and blue head of the Tom as he moved ever so slow looking for the hen he had heard over here, I eared back the hammer and when he passed behind a big maple tree I raised the gun to my shoulder...…..I waited until I had a clear shot that looked to be about 25 yards.....The hammer fell and Matilda roared. For just a few seconds the smoke from 75 gr's of 2ff powder blocked the bird but then I saw that he was down and flopping. The load of #6 shot had done it's job

Matilda's first success

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 03:41:23 PM by Lobo »

Offline Craig Wilcox

Re: A tough turkey hunt
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 03:25:00 PM »
Congrats on a fine bird!
Also want to congratulate you for being so persistent with your new Matilda.  I've hunted in drizzle, and in pouring rain - can make ya plenty miserable.  All forgotten when the meat is on the forest floor.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline JamesT

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 03:58:12 PM »
Well done sir!

Offline trentOH

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 07:00:24 PM »
A fine story! In this day where you "have" to be camouflaged in the latest style, from head to toe, including your beard, it's good to see that a good hunter can still take his Tom dressed and kitted out old style. 

Offline Skychief

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 05:15:37 AM »
Congratulations Ron.  Excellent hunt and telling of it.  Thanks for sharing!

Best regards, Skychief.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 06:20:32 PM »
Congrats, way to go.  Been tough in my area this spring, too.  Biologist pal tells me the kill is running about normal, but everyone I know in the woods is complaining this spring.  Been abnormally quiet all over at daybreak across Maryland from coast to mountains from reports, but I've had a lot more action since the afternoons opened for the last two weeks of the season.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Timber

• Starting Member
    • Leather from the past
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 06:40:14 AM »
 Congrats on a fine Tom!
I have had to same problem, can’t get them to come in to range of my Fowler. I’ve been able to work several birds but can’t get them to commit or a hen cuts them off and steels them away.
I have until the end of the month so I haven’t given up.
I was hoping to see you with the new bag you bought from me at K-zoo.
Take care, sir.

Offline acorn20

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 07:11:12 AM »
Congrats on your bird, Ron.  Thanks for sharing your day afield. 
Dan Akers

Lobo

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 03:24:38 PM »
Hey Darrel, I bought that bag from you and a small engraved horn at K-Zoo for my Jud Brenan .36 squirrel rifle. You know how it is we gotta have a bag and horn for every gun in the rack.  ;D

I had a long talk on the phone with Denny yesterday, he says he's starting to catch up. ;D

Good luck on the birds.

Offline Timber

• Starting Member
    • Leather from the past
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 05:08:28 PM »
Nice!
The horn and bag go great together.
Well the season is over and no Tom for me again. I do know where he lives and the fall season will be here before you know it.
Enjoy your summer and take care.

Lobo

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 02:57:10 PM »

I'll be spending a lot of time on the "Nancy Rae" this summer on our lake at the farm. Pike, bass and blue gills are plentiful. Like you said, fall will be here before you know it.  :)