Author Topic: Masonic/Military Tribute Hawk for Hunts for Wounded Warrior Project  (Read 1843 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Hello everyone

FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE

This is not about rifle building so moderators if you need to move please do so.

I just finished a Tomahawk project for the Masonic Mountain Men who will be raffling it and a pair of consecutively serial numbered 1911 Colts engraved by Keith Casteel.

The Theme for this years project is "Freedom Is Never Free". Everywhere you look today you see Vet's that have paid a high price for our Freedom. In an effort to give a little something back the Masonic Mountain Men are putting a lot of time, effort and money to fund this project and make it successful. Last years Thomas Simpson rifle project did very well and several thousand dollars was raised to help pay the medical bills of sick children. We are hopeful that we can duplicate those donations for this Wounded Warrior Project.

The proceeds this year will be used to help fund the hunts for the Wounded Warriors. I have nothing to do with the raffle itself but I wanted to mention it here because I know many of our community here are veterans. If you are interested in making a donation or getting some chances please go to the Masonic Mountain Men website for that information. They have pictures of the two Colt 1911's on the site which I can not post here. I have taken a few photo's of the Hawk with my phone to post here. There will be better photo's of it when the Mountain Men run their add in Muzzle Loader Mag.

Spec's of the Hawk. The head is an R E Davis casting. All of the inlays are Sterling Silver, the wire inlay was also cut from Sterling sheet. The cap plug was hand shaped and polished from a piece of water buffalo horn and has 4 Sterling Silver nails in it. The engraving was done by me, the handle was stained with Aqua Fortis and Birchwood Casey Walnut, the finish is a home brew of Shellac, Linseed Oil with some burnt Amber thrown for good measure. The head was rust blued then rubbed back some to a bluish grey. The mouth piece is poured pewter.

I am a Veteran myself and felt very honored to build this Hawk to help fellow Vet's.

Here are a few pictures of the Hawk.

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline mark brier

Absolutely wonderful, thank you
Mark Brier

Offline Carl Young

Well done Jim!   I appreciate your talent, patriotism, generosity, and sacrifice. I'm proud to have you as a friend.
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Huntschool

I dont know what to say besides …..  WOW

Your tribute on this piece should be seen by more then just us here.  Though not a Mason,  My great uncle on my mothers side was a highly degreed Mason.  I have his leather apron.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
A well executed and very worthy project.  Bravo Zulu!
David

Offline B.Barker

Man that's nice. You made a real dandy of an axe Jim. Fantastic engraving on the armed forces emblems.

Offline pjmcdonald

Jim,
Beautiful work. Thanks for all you do.

Paul

KILTED COWBOY

Outstanding! I hope it raises lots of money for a worthy cause.
Still trying to figure out how you secured the medallions to the hawk blade.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Cowboy, I used my milling machine and a 1" end mill to cut the circle to within a few thousandths the depth of the thickness of the silver. I then took a square graver that I have reshaped to make undercuts along the outside edge of the radius of the end mill cut. I cut the silver round from a sterling sheet and then place the silver round into the cut and using a flat punch go around the edge of the silver round and punch the edge of the silver into the undercut in the hawk head. Once you go all the way around the edge of the silver round it is locked permanently in place. I then filed the silver round flush with the hawk head surface and sanded the surface to a finish for engraving.

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline vtmtnman

That's beautiful work.

Offline J. Talbert

Great work Jim!

Very nice especially on those armed forces emblems.

I hope they raise a bundle.  I'm gonna check it out.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
 A Beauty Jim, Thank You for Your time and talent.

Tim

Offline Bob Roller

Understated elegance that any one,especially another veteran would be proud to own.
It takes a very high level of skill to craft a thing like this without making it
look gaudy or cheap and you've certainly done this.

Bob Roller

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
  Jim excellent work my fruend..! What else can anyone say ! Hope it brings in a lot of money for a very worth while cause...!  Oldtravler

Offline elkhorne

Jim,
First thank you for your service first and foremost to our country and now to a most worthy veteran cause! The design and artistry you have shown are top rate and beautifully executed. A piece that you see new art everytime you look at it. It will be the highlight of anyone's collection. Congratulations on a job well done for a most worthy cause.
Gary