Author Topic: Question about recoil in smoothbores?  (Read 4132 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: Question about recoil in smoothbores?
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2019, 08:32:55 AM »
I think mine started as a sight from Track. Those modern sights don't look well on a ML.
I ground off their blade, then cut a tiny trough in it with a small round Swiss file & soldered on the
tapered bead. It's been there since 1986 and thousands of shots.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2019, 02:23:52 PM »
Daryl,

How far away from your eye is the express sight on the .69 caliber Hawken??

Are you also using an express sight on the 48" barreled .50 caliber rifle??

Now that your eyesight is deteriorating, is the distance from the rear sight to your eye still appropriate??

Do you feel there is an optimum distance between the shooters eye and an Express sight??

Thanks for your answers,
                                               R.J.Bruce

Offline kudu

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2019, 05:22:06 PM »
(I know the the sight is a little modern looking in the link)  But it dose have a brass bead and could be dressed up a little to look a little closer to Period Correct. Might be ok for a CVA or what not. 

The distance from Eye the rear Sight is can be whatever it needs to be within reason.

try the broom handle and sights,  or set or glue a rear sight on the barrel to get a good Phocus of the rear and front.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2019, 08:17:47 PM »
Daryl,

1/.How far away from your eye is the express sight on the .69 caliber Hawken??
       18" eye to sight blade - the first leaf is 8 1/8" ahead of the tang/barrel junction.

2/.Are you also using an express sight on the 48" barreled .50 caliber rifle??
       Yes - 18 1/2" eye to sight blade - sight is 9 3/8" from tang/bl. junction. This one is slighlty better, but likely only due to the front sight being so far away & is nice and sharply defined.

3/.Now that your eyesight is deteriorating, is the distance from the rear sight to your eye still appropriate??
       Not too bad. would be better further out, though. With the wide V, there is general fuzziness, but easy to put the bead in the bottom of the notch.
       With tight V or U sights, they are fuzzy all over and hard to see through as well as positioning of the front sight is difficult.

4/.Do you feel there is an optimum distance between the shooters eye and an Express sight??
       Depends on your eyes I guess -  18" worked for me from the get-go & still does, 33 years later.

Thanks for your answers,
                                               R.J.Bruce

You are welcome.
D

Daryl

PluggedNickle

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2019, 08:51:10 AM »
I have a P.A.S.T pad that I've used with heavy recoil rifles, and it works well.  If my Charleville beats me up too bad with heavy loads I will use it for that as well.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2019, 03:47:17 PM »
Couple years back, I installed two "Dead Mule Recoil Reducers" in a 12 gauge for a fellow with about the same problem as you.  He liked to hunt ducks and geese, and couldn't get the results he wanted by using a low-powered load.
These fit in a 7/8" hole in the butt, under the butt plate, and are available from Midway USA.  IIRC, the cost was about $80 each.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Daryl

Re: front sight?
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2019, 06:54:02 PM »
they make these in 3/32 also .093
see if you can get the "link"
https://williamsgunsight.com/product/williams-gold-bead-streamlined-front-sights-narrow/

kudu- point taken, however modern marble's front sights look REALLY weird on a muzzleloading rifle or smoothbore.
Daryl