Author Topic: OLD HUNT  (Read 1791 times)

Offline RVAH-7

OLD HUNT
« on: May 17, 2019, 07:01:31 AM »
Sept. 10,2017 I posted a query to ALR members to help me decipher my newly acquired 16 ga. SxS. My biggest question was the wording "cincinnati gun currituck steel" found on the rib of the 40" barrels, A. Bennett, London on the lock, walnut stock, silver entry thimbel & trigger bow. Is it just a "hardware store" gun or more. My limited research of proof marks seem to indicate 1853 or newer. I am attempting to post some photos to help gather info from more experienced folks.
With new nipples and a blessing from a prominent BLACKPOWDER gunsmith and a Turner Kirkland proof test via the "tire and a LONG string", she shoots well, including flinging a .635 cast round ball wrapped in a linen patch with bear grease.
And an additional fly in the ointment:  An old friend in Colorado received an "old" powder horn from the wife of a collector who passed away. Knowing I struggle with my addiction to black powder, he surprised me with the gift. Whether it was notes from the late collector, etc. is speculation as to validity, but if you hold it up to the light at just the right angle,  written on the side of the horn in pencil was "war of 1812". And below that was "carried by Peter Meyer." Of course I can't prove that but it sure spices up the possibilities and powers the imagination & wishful thinking. Using a tiny wood screw I was able to withdraw the sheared off plug to snoop inside and what fell out was 6 long, thin blades of grass!!??!! My photos don't show well, but the butt is fitted to the shape of the horn, tiny nails close to the edge, a deep rub (from the cow?) and scratches of character and part of the tip has knife tracks.
So I made a narrow, simple strap for it just so I could "carry it" and hopefully clobber something with the 16 double to make it an OLD HUNT and send a picture to my friend. With a box call I was able to draw a tom up a long meadow to near the trees. The load was 70gr. of 3F under a bear-greased felt wad, an equal volume of #5 shot and a card on top. 9"+ beard and 20.4 lbs. The lead shot went in the right barrel, the patched RB in the left for those big, hairy critters with long claws, the ones the court judges say are threatened and endangered.  Sure beats watching TV.

Offline alyce-james

Re: OLD HUNT
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 07:40:50 PM »
 Sir; Not many of us use glass bottle for our shot. Fits nicely in the hunting pouch or pockets. Congratulation on the bird. Nice looking horn. Thanks for sharing. AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 07:56:26 PM »
Excellent story and gun - thankyou. Good standard load. I've heard guys saying they get better patterns with 3F than double or single - supposedly due
to lower muzzle pressures, especially in longer barreled guns.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 09:52:14 PM »
Good story and nice gun.  And using an old bottle for shot is something I've never thought about; but now it sounds like a no-brainer.  I like old horns such as that one pictured.  Congratulations on a fine turkey.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline One Eye

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 10:50:19 PM »
Thank you for the tale and the photos.
Very classic.
One Eye
"Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace..."
 Proverbs 17:28

Steve Milbocker

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 03:15:59 PM »
What a great way to honor fine old equipment. Using it for which it was made.  A big thumbs up 👍

Offline trentOH

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 05:02:15 AM »
I was curious as to when the term "War of 1812' came into use, to help verify how old that horn or it's original owned might be. The earliest I have found is 1827, just 15 years after the end of the war. So it could easily be that the horn was embellished by a veteran or son of a veteran of the War of 1812.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 03:18:44 PM »
Good on you for getting the old girl going,  nice turkey !! These old fowlers have a lovely feel to them !I like your accoutrements, I only read of a small glass bottle being used as a shot container the other day, makes sense to use what you would have had available.
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !