Author Topic: Four Sides Barrel  (Read 1995 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Four Sides Barrel
« on: May 17, 2019, 09:43:04 PM »
A really stupid question; but here goes.  Are there any documented rifle barrels that were originally made with 4 flats rather than 8 flats?  I seem to recall something from way back that I may have seen or heard about.  Inletting a square profile barrel would seem to be a very simple task, relatively speaking.  Has this or is this ever been done?
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Four Sides Barrel
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 09:58:31 PM »
There is a southern rifle in the Valle Forge museum that has the normal octagon part of a oct to round barrel with 4 sides instead of 8 sides. I have posted photos in the past. David Didds made a copy of thus rifle and it was on display with other David Dodds rifles after his death. I got my photo from the museum and will see if I can locate it. I forget whether the forward section is round but I believe it was. If I remember correctly it was considered to be a southern made gun using previously used parts. I think the barrel was Dutch made.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 12:38:54 AM »
I'm like Hanshi,I THINK I have seen some place,a picture of a square barreled gun
but can NOT remember where.

Bob Roller

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 12:50:19 AM »
Hi Hanshi,
I believe square breeched guns were often Scandinavian.  Below are some photos of the rifle by David Dodds inspired by the gun at Valley Forge.  The Valley Forge gun is also shown in Neumann's "Battle Weapons of the American Revolution".
dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 03:40:41 PM »
Really a nifty looking firearm!  May have to try one of those some day.  Probably a bit butt-heavy.

Dave Csquared, good to see you back!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 06:45:40 PM »
Runar made a pair of them (pictured on this site), some time back.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 11:21:54 PM »
Ah, okay, I didn't just imagine it.  Just me but they look pretty good.  Could be a bit "weighty" I suppose but I still kinda like the look.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Levy

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 08:39:42 PM »
The copy of the "Square Breach Rifle" that David Dodds made is owned by my friend Rich Pouncey.  David made the barrel himself while working at Getz.  I think it is .60 cal. and straight rifled which is different from the original.  I think it had a larger caliber and twist rifling.  The gun feels comfortable and light to me, but I've never fired it.  Rich claims it kicks hard, but then he only weighs a hundred pounds.  James Levy
James Levy

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 04:21:06 AM »
Don Pitche ? made one some years back ,had pics of it but they got lost in a computer crash. Curt

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 08:09:39 PM »
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 03:48:05 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 08:42:39 PM »
There is one of display at either King's Mountain National Park or Cowpens.  But I don't think it is original.

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 11:31:43 PM »
Ok I finally found the photo of the Valley Forge square breech rifle that they sent me based on my request. I wish I could find the email that they sent with it but so far I can't. I remember that they told me if I wanted to see it in person to contact them a week or so in advance and they would make arrangements for me to see the rifle since it is not normally on display.

I remember bits and pieces and my memory is not the best but I am almost positive it came from SC or was made in SC from donor parts. I think it was thought to have a Dutch made barrel. I believe (different from Levy) that it had a straight grooved barrel the same as what David Dodds made for Rich Pouncey.

I have handled Rich's gun and I found it very well balanced for me, I really liked the feel of the gun. Considered buying it but after Rich told me how bad it kicked and me not needing another ML rifle I decided to pass.

Here is the photo Valley Forge sent me:

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mick C

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 12:28:54 AM »
Very interesting and unique early gun.  Nice to see a color picture of it. A bit clunky but the fit and finish looks well done from the photo.

Thanks for posting, Dennis.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!