Author Topic: Snap Shooting VS. Field-supported vs.Deliberate Offhand VS. Wing Shooting  (Read 2109 times)

Offline R.J.Bruce

In your lifetime of hunting, what percentage of your shots fall into one of the following categories?

A. Offhand Snap Shot--- gun brought to shoulder, target acquired, shot immediately taken, with follow through---- ground targets--- taken from offhand position

B. Wing Shooting--- same as A, except for aerial target--- taken from offhand position

C. Field Supported--- deliberate shot, using a tree, rock, building, pack, etc--- taken from prone, sitting, kneeling, or offhand position

D. Deliberate Offhand--- unsupported---type of deliberate shot most often seen in the vast majority of muzzleloading contests--- taken from ofhand position

Thanks,
              R.J.Bruce

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
In your lifetime of hunting, what percentage of your shots fall into one of the following categories?

A. Offhand Snap Shot--- gun brought to shoulder, target acquired, shot immediately taken, with follow through---- ground targets--- taken from offhand position 20% of total mostly shotgun rabbits or squirrel

B. Wing Shooting--- same as A, except for aerial target--- taken from offhand position 15% mostly ducks

C. Field Supported--- deliberate shot, using a tree, rock, building, pack, etc--- taken from prone, sitting, kneeling, or offhand position 50% mostly woodchucks and deer but not allowed to take so many deer as woodchucks!

D. Deliberate Offhand--- unsupported---type of deliberate shot most often seen in the vast majority of muzzleloading contests--- taken from ofhand position 15% woodchucks, squirrel, deer with rifle from stalking or still hunting

Thanks,
              R.J.Bruce
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

All of them fall into one of those categories.
Since deliberate target shooting outnumbers the shots taken during hunting  likely 3,000 to one, I would guess "D" would be 90% and perhaps "C" would be 9% and "A" & "B"  would make up 1%.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
D is 95% for me with the occasional A for running shots.

This is for hunting.

Offline Standing Bear

Since deliberate target shooting outnumbers the shots taken during hunting  likely 3,000 to one, I would guess "D" would be 90% and perhaps "C" would be 9% and "A" & "B"  would make up 1%.

Thanks Daryl. That saves a lot of typing for me.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
It would be "C" for me.  If I'm standing with no support nearby, I always drop to a knee.  Don't do any wing shooting.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline HelmutKutz

It is necessary to separate wing shooting from others as few people wingshoot with rifle and few make deliberate shots with fowler at stationary ground targets except for gobbler turkey.

Rifle hunting is about even split between snap shoot and field support. When hunting in the north I use long 58 rifle and a walking stick which doubles as standing field support. Hunting in south I normally use short 66 rifle for shots are done by snap at close range in thick cover. Except for spring gobbler turkey, most all fowler shots are done wing shooting.
HK

Offline alacran

I agree with HelmutKutz.
So that leaves rifle shooting, and on this forum, it means muzzleloader with PRB. I have hunted Javalina, deer and elk, with muzzleloaders. Looking back, most of my shots have been taken offhand, though I have taken shots sitting on my butt and some kneeling.
I can only recollect one shot at that would be considered a snap shot. It was at a cow elk in the Junipers. Been tracking the herd for over a mile. One stepped in between the trees about 40 yards away. She was moving though a 10 yard opening. I cocked and brought the Hawken to my shoulder, shot off the the trigger without setting it, no time.  I spined her and that was that.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline bob in the woods

B- approx 20 %   [ fowling and partridge ]

C- maybe up to 5%   - all hunting in the field

D-  most of my shooting , hunting and target

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
While I make it a point to never shoot standing, off hand at anything larger than small game, I do snap shoot a lot at deer.  In the bush I'm usually sitting at ground level.  The only support used is occasionally a knee.  But elevated or not, many shots taken are walking or running shots.  My two rifles and one smoothbore fit me very well and I'm very familiar with them.  With each and every moving shot the gun fires just as it settles into my shoulder.  Some call it "in the zone" and that's a pretty good description.  Haven't lost one and even took a doe with a running shot using my flint smoothbore.  If I'm faced with a stand-on-your-two-hind-legs-like-a-human shot, I drop to a knee, find a rest or try and get closer; no standing unsupported shots for me.  I think "C" covers it. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline BJH

10%A 10%B 80%C Snap shooting at small game with smooth bores with shot. “Wing shooting” squirrels with a smooth bore with shot. Deliberate off hand big game and squirrels with rifles. I really never seem to get a opportunity to set up a rested shot. That and I’ve never had a opportunity out to 50 yds. All much closer within archery range.
BJH

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee

Although my field and target shooting numbers are much lower than D's  my percentages would be very close to these.

Also, I've taken exactly one shot that was "A/C" on a running buck: I was seated, couldn't get him to stop-the range was short enough- so I took a snap shot and I got my buck.   Yes he was trailing a hot doe and the shot quite naturally required lead and follow-through.
Hold to the Wind

Offline wmrike

If it has fur and it's moving at more than a slow walk, I won't shoot.  Leave that for Elmer Keith.  I really prefer a rest or support of some kind, but will shoot offhand if there is no apparent rush.

Offline One Eye

If it has fur and it's moving at more than a slow walk, I won't shoot.  Leave that for Elmer Keith.  I really prefer a rest or support of some kind, but will shoot offhand if there is no apparent rush.
Me too!
One Eye
"Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace..."
 Proverbs 17:28

Offline Hungry Horse

If you can’t hit game without a support of some type, you probably shouldn’t hunt Northern California.
The black tails we hunt here live in the brush, so anything that isn’t a running shot is like a gift from above. The good news is the range is usually pretty short, but the bad news is any gun with a barrel over about thirty two inches long might get you bound up so tight in the brush that you have to leave it behind, just to get out yourself.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mike from OK

If I'm poking holes in paper I try to use some kind of support. If I am after squirrels I use an adjacent tree to steady myself against... If one is handy. Otherwise it'll be an offhand shot.

I would like to hone my snap shooting. But I don't know how one would do that because as soon as you begin concentrating on it you aren't really snap shooting anymore... Perhaps just practicing a manner of seating the rifle consistently on your shoulder and learning how the rifle shoots when done so.

Mike

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
If I'm poking holes in paper I try to use some kind of support. If I am after squirrels I use an adjacent tree to steady myself against... If one is handy. Otherwise it'll be an offhand shot.

I would like to hone my snap shooting. But I don't know how one would do that because as soon as you begin concentrating on it you aren't really snap shooting anymore... Perhaps just practicing a manner of seating the rifle consistently on your shoulder and learning how the rifle shoots when done so.

Mike

Shooting trap and skeet is good practice if you don't shoulder the gun until the bird is released. The method will carry over to your rifle. A peep makes fast shots much easier. As does a set trigger.

Offline Mike from OK

I'll keep that in mind Pete. Thanks.

Mike