Author Topic: want a new .54, but have recoil concerns  (Read 997 times)

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: want a new .54, but have recoil concerns
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2019, 11:20:15 PM »
I didnít see anybody ask about the rate of twist. Thatís a very important question. The slower the twist the more powder it will take to stabilize the bullet, and the more recoil the gun will develop. A 1in66Ē would be my twist of choice, if recoil was a concern. Many .58ís are 1 in 72Ē which will take more powder to stabilize, and develop more felt recoil.

Hungry Horse

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2019, 01:12:39 AM »
I have the Chamber's E. Marshall rifle in .62 cal   My bear and moose load is 120 gr FFg . Everything else, deer , target etc is 100 gr FFg.   This rifle is not unpleasant to shoot at all. The design of the butt plate and the stock are perfect for larger bores.  A .54 cal would be heavier and offer even less felt recoil. Get the rifle you like best of the two you mentioned, and you'll be fine. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2019, 09:09:11 PM »
About all ML barrels made today have good round ball twists. I have proven to my self, that a nice snug load in a .58 will shoot well from 48" twists
to 78" twists.  The 48" twist & 72" and 78" twist bl'd rifles were all military rifles.  The 66" twist was an inch and an eighth octagonal Hawken bl.
The 78" twist military bl. shot really well with 85gr. 2F, as did the two 48" twist mil. barrels. The 66" twist did not like less than 140gr. 2F, while the
72" twist military rifle preferred 120gr. 2F. This simply shows guns and barrels have their own rules.  There are general trends as Hungry-Horse and Bob
note. Usually the slower the twists, the more powder is required - but not always.  In my tests, the slowest twist I tested, shot best with the same powder
charge as the fastest twist.  It shot as well, with a LOT more powder, but that charging was not necessary.
How much powder you have to use depends on what you want from the rifle. In the days of testing those bls. I was interested in shooting 50yards for
sight adjustments, and 100yards for groups.
They all shot well at closer ranges - of course.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 07:19:25 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2019, 12:15:30 AM »
That's why I shoot game at 50yds. Even a blind man like me can put it center kill zone. :)
Pete

Offline Clark B

• Southern Indiana
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2019, 04:25:47 AM »
I'm with Daryl on this. I've never felt recoil in muxxleloaders until you get way up on charge on larger bores, even with pointy Hawken style butt plates.
Psalms 144

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2019, 05:21:46 AM »
Every ones recoil tolerance and power requirements will vary. I like to shoot bigger balls fast just because IMHO I get a flatter trajectory which is good if you hunt open plains type country. Over the years I have built up some extra recoil tolerance by shooting bigger than average bore guns but that is decreasing now as I get on in years. I would guess this happens to most shooters. Just a fact of life so we deal with it best we can.