Author Topic: First Timer  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
First Timer
« on: May 21, 2019, 05:47:26 PM »
My stepson and I went through a local range class and got membership to use the range.  This was his first time ever shooting any rifle.  He enjoyed the flintlock more than any of the modern rifles we brought.  He even asked if I was ever going to make a flintlock pistol.  The new Lehigh shoots well and I really like the 36 caliber and the zornes classic lock is by far my favorite.

J.E. Moore

Re: First Timer
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 08:09:24 PM »
Mike that's awesome, it put a smile on my face too . That's something he will remember for the rest of his life.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 10:57:37 PM »
Good on ya, Mike!  Your stepson will always treasure those moments you've spent together, and so will you.  And we have another BP shooter now!

Trying to take my 10-year old grandson, and 10-year old GREAT grandson, out to the range.  Just been to darn rainy, windy, and chilly for my old bones.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 03:38:36 AM »
Great getting him out shooting. Now's the time to teach him how to hold the rifle & cheek or chin the stock, depending on the drop. Sitting slightly sideways will help some.
I realize it's likely a bit long in the pull.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 04:11:58 AM »
Hi Mike, looks like the vid of my grandson shooting his silver flinter I built him last year. I well remember his first shot with a original Shenandoa valley caplock when he was about 10.
Best regards, Dave 8) 8)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 04:53:32 AM »
Great getting him out shooting. Now's the time to teach him how to hold the rifle & cheek or chin the stock, depending on the drop...

A little bit light on the check weld eh?  ;D  Gotta a "kick" out of that.  He'll learn all that stuff I'm sure, good job.  ;)
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 05:11:01 AM »
That Lehigh is not the easiest to obtain a sight picture for someone inexperienced.  It’s only a 36 caliber. He had no clue what was going to happen when he pulled the trigger.  He was worried it would burn his face.  I told him to point at the big dirt hill behind the target and squeeze the trigger.  I plan to build one SMR in 32 just to help him and the other kids learn.  He grew up in a family afraid of guns and wouldn’t think of owning one.  I came into the family about 6 years ago with a truck load.   I let him shoot a scoped rifle and a pistol and he did pretty well.  Safety was about the only thing I harped on this first trip.  This particular range has about 10 separate ranges so, it’s pretty easy to get one alone.  He liked to wonder in front of the benches but,  he will get there.   

Offline JamesT

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 01:27:06 PM »
Good job man! Teach em young. Nice quick ignition on that rifle too. I like it