Author Topic: Apartment Longrifle Transportation?  (Read 3613 times)

Offline Hefner

Re: Apartment Longrifle Transportation?
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2019, 11:23:02 PM »
I don"t have enough 60" plus gun cases, so when I need to transport several loooong rifles I use Harbor Freight moving blankets.  I buy the 72" x 80" ($5.99 20 % off coupons available too) size and roll my rifle up like a burrito and use packing tape in 3 or 4 places to keep everything tight.  I did this when I moved from AZ to Pennsylvania without any damage to the rifles.

Offline Sharpsman

• "There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2019, 12:18:17 AM »
Lots of folks are fast....but don't think they'd outrun a 9MM round!!
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline yellowhousejake

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2019, 12:24:25 AM »
Having trouble finding a case long enough for my last rifle, that I could afford, I bought this.

https://smile.amazon.com/Long-Traditional-Case-Wide-Inches/dp/B01JT0QJ1U/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=longbow+case&qid=1558646514&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

It is padded and works well. I would not travel with it, but in the trunk or in the pickup bed it does well.

DAve

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2019, 12:41:22 AM »
Yellowhouse,

I have a bunch of these:

https://www.logcabinshop.com/catalog.php?path=&product_id=25206

Very well made for $30
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline nemovir

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2019, 04:26:15 PM »
i bought mine from this group

https://uniquecases.com/product-category/musket-cases/

they have multiple sizes and a pocket for a range rod.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2019, 05:27:59 PM »
I've lived in my present apartment for 13 years. I go in and out with a gun in a heavy blanket gun case at least 100 days in a year. No trouble at all. I think a lot of them think it's a fly rod as I do that too. I've had some of them say when I was carrying the gun....... going fishing Pete? I just say yup and keep moving.

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2019, 01:52:33 PM »
I live in an apartment too , most of my neighbors are young urbanite millennials with dogs .
Charming young ladies but most had never even seen a real gun and would react fearfully .

My business is my own so I prefer to be very discreet .

For shorter guns I use a back soft- sided guitar case with a carry strap that I got at a pawn shop .
It's better quality than any similar gun case i've owned .

My longer guns all have canvas covers that TOTW sells ,so those I roll up on a thin rug and rope tie. I have also used long skinny cardboard ULINE gun shipping boxes. Slide the canvas cased gun in and off you go . People are moving in or out all the time .

You are right to be concerned .While you are perfectly within your rights, its best to anticipate worst case scenarios and act to avoid them .It's not the world we grew up in ,but the one in which we live now .

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2019, 05:24:54 PM »
My place is almost all seniors. Besides the gun thing, I also have a 100lb pit bull. They all accept me for who I am. They know i'm not a danger to them and they love my dog.

The only gun rules we have here is if you have a handgun it needs to be canceled and you need to have a permit for that. With rifles, the only rule is it has to be in a case going in and out of the building.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2019, 10:43:04 AM »
I live in an apartment too , most of my neighbors are young urbanite millennials with dogs .
Charming young ladies but most had never even seen a real gun and would react fearfully .

My business is my own so I prefer to be very discreet .

For shorter guns I use a back soft- sided guitar case with a carry strap that I got at a pawn shop .
It's better quality than any similar gun case i've owned .

My longer guns all have canvas covers that TOTW sells ,so those I roll up on a thin rug and rope tie. I have also used long skinny cardboard ULINE gun shipping boxes. Slide the canvas cased gun in and off you go . People are moving in or out all the time .

You are right to be concerned .While you are perfectly within your rights, its best to anticipate worst case scenarios and act to avoid them .It's not the world we grew up in ,but the one in which we live now .

Excellent, thank you for the idea. I might well buy one of those too so I can switch it up from time to time.

Glad to know I’m not the only urban apartment dweller on the forum. This doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy the hobby too!

Offline Mick C

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2019, 08:24:24 PM »
Wow!  Amazing stories aside, here's a nice case that, if asked, you can tell a neighbor that it's a bassoon or some other long musical instrument :)

https://www.crazycrow.com/gun-covers/kentucky-rifle-hard-case-72in
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!