Author Topic: source for cast RR pipes?  (Read 998 times)

Offline Bigmon

source for cast RR pipes?
« on: May 24, 2019, 11:38:24 PM »
Been working on a fowler and would prefer wax cast pipes.  But don't see 5/16" available in wax cast?  Anyone know of a source?
Thanks

Offline smylee grouch

Re: source for cast RR pipes?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 12:25:03 AM »
Did you try muzzleloaders builders supply

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 02:47:21 AM »
Depending on style, maybe contact Ron Scott.  He may have casting suitable for a jaeger in that size.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 01:25:27 PM »
Hi,
If you look at my tutorial about building an English fowler, I describe making 5/16" pipes from sheet steel and brass but using the tang from a 3/8" cast steel (or brass) rear pipe on the sheet steel rear pipe.  In fact, a cast tang was often soldered on sheet metal rear pipes on original fowlers.  I just did the same thing on my current New England fowler project.  It is very easy.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 05:51:53 PM »
I've used cast pipes but usually make my own from .040 brass. Cast RR pipes and also cast Mcaps  are too thick and although they can be made thinner, the .040 thick brass items are  already  thinner. The "double" pipe is one piece  and made from .040 brass  and although I haven't seen  any like it on original LRs, it's my choice.

Making RR pipes is one of the easier tasks of making components for whatever style MLer is being built. Shown is a Bucks County 2 piece  entry pipe , but it is easily changed to whatever style is being built.  That's a big advantage.....making whatever you need or want.......Fred

coc generator

« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 05:57:49 PM by flehto »

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 06:32:40 PM »
Thanks to all for the kind advice and suggestions.  I may give it a try fabricating a set of pipes that is?
One of my concerns regarding cast pipes is that they may  be too thick, defeating the purpose of wanting /16 pipes in the first place.
Regards to all, happy Memorial Day