Author Topic: Chambers Queen Anne flintlock  (Read 1645 times)

Offline R.J.Bruce

Chambers Queen Anne flintlock
« on: May 31, 2019, 01:53:39 AM »
Question for the experienced trade gun builders relating to several of my previous threads.

I am interested in building a 5/6's scale Carolina trade gun with a 39.484" long barrel that measures 0.875" across-the-flats octagon at the breech.

If a Chambers Queen Anne flintlock were to be utilized with the above barrel, is there enough material in the lock plate behind the sear's arm to allow for a period correct third lock screw??

If so, would smaller diameter lock bolts be in order, say #6's??

If not, can steel be added to the lock plate by welding; or does a new, longer lock plate need to be fabricated??

Thanks,
               R.J.Bruce

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Chambers Queen Anne flintlock
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 02:56:29 AM »

Not a great angle but probably yes. Your challenge will be the sideplate.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 02:51:09 PM »
5/6? Just build it full sized.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 03:04:40 PM »
Chamber’s does not make the Queen Ann lock, L&R makes that lock. Jim does make a couple of round faced English style locks but the lock plates are longer than the Queen Ann’s lock plate.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 03:12:12 PM »
Chambers has the Queen Anne pistol lock. It’s smaller
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 04:21:31 PM »
Bob is right. It a LOT smaller. It is more of a pistol lock, I think even for 5/6 it would be too small. If you are dead set on it, why not put a dummy screw at the rear of the side plate if you just want it to look right and then drill/tap the lock plate, insert a dummy bolt and file it so it won't interfere with the sear. 
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline BJH

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 01:29:02 AM »
On the youth sized trade gun I built some time ago. I used a fake third screw.  The screw in the tail of the serpent was simply a modified large sheet metal screw. I modified the head to match the lock bolts. This gun also used a Chambers round faced pistol lock. It made for a really dependable gun.
BJH