Author Topic: Something Different  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Something Different
« on: May 27, 2019, 08:57:37 PM »
I normally make pretty simple pouches.    I have decided to try something more sophisticated.   This pouch was a real learning experience for me.   I plan to make another similar, but smaller pouch to use a nice tooled flap that I had made for another project, but ended up not using.    This pouch is about 8" x 10" overall.  It is made from 2-3 oz veg tan cowhide.   The strap is 3-4 oz veg tan.  It was hand sewn with waxed linen thread at 8 stitches per inch.  This is my first attempt at a fringed welt and a rolled binding.  There is a small internal pocket.  It was stained with vinegar and iron before assembly and finished with Mink oil and black shoe polish.   I used some dark brown antiquing finish to darken the stitches.  Let me know what you think and where I need to improve.    I am trying to do more professional work.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 08:56:46 PM by Mark Elliott »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Something Different
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 10:28:43 PM »
Very, very elegant.  You do such fine work it always amazes me.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 11:26:29 PM »
Very. Nice. I might use heavier leather for the back and the lighter for the front for a regular carry pouch but that’s my personal preference and the only comment I can muster besides “ super super nice”.

Bobby

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 02:28:21 AM »
Nice. Keep up the good work. And thank you for sharing.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 03:57:32 AM »
Another awesome bag, Mark!  I really like the shape and details, and the color is deep and rich. Sweet!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 05:47:01 AM »
Nice bag Mark. What material did you use for the interior? Looks really good with the black leather.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 02:26:24 PM »
Very nice work, Mark. Thanks for sharing.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline scottmc

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 02:47:47 PM »
Very nice bag, Mark!!  If that is your first attempt at a rolled edge, you did fantastic.  I've done several now and have not achieved the preciseness of the second row of stitching that is seen along the rolled edge on the outside of the flap.  No doubt, you have many hours in this bag.  Nice work!
Remember Paoli!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 02:55:11 PM »
 Good looing bag Mark, a lot of work in that one. I like how you sewed the pieces of leather on the inside to support the straps. Glad I didn't have to cut all that fringe, well done.

Tim

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 05:36:41 PM »
I keep track of my time and I have about 25 hours in that bag.   The hard part was sewing the front and back to the gusset and then turning it.  It was one laborious stitch at at time, and it actually took the better part of an hour to turn it.   I used glue (Super 77 and Titebond III) to hold everything together while I stitched.    I shouldn't have used the Titebond III.   I should have used Titebond I or II.   The Titebond III is water proof.   Fortunately,  I only used a very little bit of the Titebond III.   The Super 77 came loose when I soaked the bag in warm water to turn it.  I know I could dissolve the Titebond III using vinegar, but it wasn't enough to worry about.   

I should note that I am using diamond chisels now to punch my holes for stitching.   It makes the final stitch for the rolled bindings much easier than it would be without the chisels.   I just hold the chisels (2, 4, or 6 holes) tight against the binding which is glued in place using clothes pins.  I should also note that Ken Scott's video was very helpful for providing the techniques necessary to assemble this bag.   I had to watch it a few times though as I was making this bag. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 05:41:36 PM by Mark Elliott »

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 06:42:20 AM »
Mark, I like it. In fact I've liked all the bags I've noticed that you've posted.
Psalms 144

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 11:01:35 AM »
very beautiful bag, love it

Offline trentOH

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 04:07:22 AM »
My suggestions would be to have switched the buckle location, so it would be on the rear for a right side carry, and that the same strap should be draped over my left shoulder.

Offline KC

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 05:49:18 PM »
I always thought your work was very professional, this bag is no exception. Well done.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 10:57:05 PM »
Really nice Mark.  I like those fork diamond awls too.  I don't use above 4 points, as they drag on the six pointers makes them hard to pull out.  Really neat bag.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2019, 07:31:49 PM »
Marc and Mark,
Here is a link to a great seller of quality tools. He has some real, vintage pricking irons on there right now. Those and a well honed and shaped awl are a good improvement  on those Asian diamond chisels.

https://brucejohnsonleather.com/leather-tools-sale

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2019, 08:09:24 PM »
Thank you James.  I took a look through there at the nice tools.  What I need is a comprehensive course in how to use said implements.  My local Tandy is very limited with training options.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline aaronc

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2019, 01:05:10 AM »
Nice work.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.