Author Topic: Royland Southgate FL Rifle Price reduced to $1650  (Read 1522 times)

Offline JIM FRANCIS

Royland Southgate FL Rifle Price reduced to $1650
« on: May 29, 2019, 09:54:05 PM »
Here is a signed "R. Southgate flintlock rifle that was won by Cleve Howell in 1961. See photos. The rifle has a 38" barrel, 45 cal, tang sight, and LOP of 13 1/2. The overall condition is very good with a few handling marks from age.
    Royland Southgate born 1915, died 1979 and lived in Franklin, Tenn. He was a known and respected maker of the old school.
          The rifle just came from the Howell family.  Please contact me with any questions. $1650 Price includes priority mail shipping in CONUS.  Thanks for looking, Jim  804-436-4166

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 08:47:02 PM by JIM FRANCIS »

Offline Mick C

Re: Royland Southgate FL Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 09:23:16 PM »
Some nice history literally attached there  :)
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Wobblyshot

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 04:42:11 PM »
Another interesting Southgate rifle resurfaces. "South" was a very prolific builder with over a thousand to his credit. When I started muzzle loader shooting here in middle Tennessee way back in the early 70s, a marksman with one of these would no doubt be in the winner's circle at the matches around these parts.

I showed this post to a friend who happened to know Royland very well....from time to time used to work with him in his shop. This was his reply when he saw your photos:

"A nice example.  The serial number is not given but there is no doubt it is a Southgate rifle.  I believe the engraving about being won by Howell was added later by Howell or at his order by someone else.  I don't remember Cleve Howell but the name is familiar. 
The signature and prize engraving are consistent with other Southgate works."

I then asked him if he thought the "Dixie" match was at the Charlie Haffner range near Franklin, Tennessee. This was his answer:

"Definitely!  In those days the "Tennessee" shoot was held in May and the "Dixie" shoot in August.  They were timed to be held the weekend before the Spring and Fall shoots at Friendship.  This was before the Friendship shoots became nine days long.  I think they started on Thursday. Maybe Wednesday.  In theory, shooters from all over the South would come to OH and then travel on to Friendship."

For clarification the "OH" is in reference to "Owl Hollow" where Charlie's range was located. The late Charles B. Haffner was a well known competitor on the pistol line at Friendship back in the day.

Hope you find this useful.

Offline dpw21562

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 05:49:44 PM »
How does the sight mount in the tang , can you do a closeup .

Offline JIM FRANCIS

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 06:05:40 PM »
Many thanks to Wobblyshot for the info about Royland Southgate. Some info about Cleve Howell is in order. There were 3. The grandfather, junior, and the third. All collected guns and all were shooters. I believe this rifle was won by Cleve jr. and passed down to Cleve III. Cleve III's widow is a very good friend of mine and I have handled the majority of the guns from his estate. One of these was an original Blemis Hayden rifle that is now in Germany with Chris_B. That rifle was an original family item that was passed down thru all three Cleves. I still have an original H E Leman flintlock that was said to have been owned by Antoine LaRoux, a famous mountain man, that was bought by Cleve I. This is a whole new story. Will get into this with photos at another time.
            I have not found a serial number on this Southgate rifle. From what I know, most of his rifles were numbered in the tang area and this one is not numbered. I have not pulled the barrel to see if it's numbered there.
        The Howell men were an interesting group and had some fantastic guns over the years. I feel very honored to have had the chance to be entrusted with a part of their collection.               Best to everyone, Jim   

Offline JIM FRANCIS

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 06:10:08 PM »
How does the sight mount in the tang , can you do a closeup .
       Sight actually screws into the wrist. Will try and get a closeup a little later today.  Jim

Offline JIM FRANCIS

Re: Royland Southgate FL Rifle Price reduced to $1650
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 08:51:38 PM »
Price reduced to $1650.