Author Topic: Modern flintlock anomalies  (Read 5966 times)

Offline G_T

Re: Modern flintlock anomalies
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2019, 10:52:47 PM »
I know I said I'd stay out of these threads, but...

Alternatively, one could consider that each lock maker, when letting a lock go out the door, has their reputation hanging on their product. It's their name on it. I consider it public.

It's the same if I make something for someone else. It has to pass MY inspection before everyone else gets to inspect it! After all, it's going to have MY name on it!

A brief inspection pre-shipping by someone who knows locks (perhaps by the person who's company it might be) could do wonders for eliminating the worst of the lot. It would eliminate most complaints and returns. Generally the worst problems are quite visible and it would only take a minute per lock. Production rates are not high so this should be no big deal. But it is obviously not being done.

If it were being done, then when a problem is detected, corrective action could be taken before many more bad ones are made with the same problem. All this is normal in manufacturing.

Being responsive in fixing problems is a good thing. It seems most makers are good at this. Not shipping problems in the first place is a better thing. When items which are dead obviously poorly done are making it out the door, IMHO there is a basic QC problem that needs to be addressed. A poor item shipping shows a lack of pride in craftsmanship. If that is what you can see, what can't you see at first glance?

How many people have received locks with real problems, built their first gun, and not been happy with the result? Perhaps people have given up because they don't know it is bad and don't know how to fix it anyway. Items are being shipped as if they are good. They SHOULD be good. If not, just ship a kit.

That said, yes, I and probably everyone here is appreciative that there are locks available for purchase. Personally I'm willing to pay more to eliminate the bad ones.

I've picked up a random collection of barrels from different makers, to eventually to in rifles. They are all fine. I've picked up a random collection of locks from different makers, also to eventually go in rifles. They are not all fine.

Gerald

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Modern flintlock anomalies
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2019, 12:44:31 AM »
There’s a lot to it. Flintlocks are complicated. Design, waxes, getting them cast, assembly, and QC. The “maker” controls the bookends, design and waxes, then QC of the final product and customer service.  The maker tries to find a foundry that actually pours what’s specified. Assembly is often farmed out.

There are some excellent locks out there, by varied makers. Inspect the new lock you buy. Return it noting issues if you don’t see the quality you expect. I think it’s avoidable, to finish a build with a lock then discover issues.
Andover, Vermont