Author Topic: Horn With Screw-In Plug  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Horn With Screw-In Plug
« on: June 03, 2019, 03:35:32 PM »
 This is my second shot at this horn, on the first one the tip cracked and I had to add am applied tip.
I is from a horn in Jay Hopkins' book, Bone Tipped & Banded Horns page 186-87.
 It is about 11" tip-to-tip. The 2" Maple butt is held  by Ten Brass tacks, it is has a ring for the strap held on by a cotter key. Threaded 1/2-6 for the plug which is slightly hollowed out so the key could be bent over and it is concaved to make it easier to fill. Single band/strap holder is secured by Three Iron pins. The color was done with AF and Brown shoe polish.

Tim C. 

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 03:40:04 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Marcruger

Re: Horn With Screw-In Plug
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 05:31:24 PM »
That is an unusual and shapely horn Tim. I do like it. Neat color and details. God Bless, Marc

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 06:41:31 PM »
Great horn selection and best use of the horn’s potential.
Andover, Vermont

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 08:23:41 PM »
Great looking horn, Tim. Thanks for sharing.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 05:43:11 AM »
Wow Tim. I own one of your horns, and it’s a prized possession. I fully expect to own one just like this one as well at some point. Very nice.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 02:33:19 PM »
Bhmack, I have learned over time to get something when you see it. In my life experiences, it is the things I’ve missed that stick in my brain.
Like womens shoes, a man can never have too many horns. :-)

God bless, Marc

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 06:41:15 PM »
Really nice horn Tim....  Keep up the good work.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 04:09:29 AM »
Bhmack, I have learned over time to get something when you see it. In my life experiences, it is the things I’ve missed that stick in my brain.

God bless, Marc

I know that’s right. He’s got another for me in the pipeline. I’m anxiously waiting. Unfortunately as a working stiff from Tennessee, after a horn and bag from Tim and a Brooks rifle in the last month I’m relegated to a jealous observer for the ‘time being’, as we say. (Not to mention, as we speak, I’m sitting in a hotel room in Madison, IN while I’m spending a few days at Friendship, trying to figure out how I can fanagle a Duprey I saw hanging on a rack at the shoot.....which made me wonder if I could sell my Wrangler and Uber back to Tennessee without my wife divorcing me. )
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 04:30:58 AM by Bhmack »

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 12:31:34 PM »

God bless, Marc

I know that’s right. He’s got another for me in the pipeline. I’m anxiously waiting. Unfortunately as a working stiff from Tennessee, after a horn and bag from Tim and a Brooks rifle in the last month I’m relegated to a jealous observer for the ‘time being’, as we say. (Not to mention, as we speak, I’m sitting in a hotel room in Madison, IN while I’m spending a few days at Friendship, trying to figure out how I can fanagle a Duprey I saw hanging on a rack at the shoot.....which made me wonder if I could sell my Wrangler and Uber back to Tennessee without my wife divorcing me. )

Oh, now that's a tough decision! 🤔

When you get that new born be sure to post it. Tim, that's a dandy horn and I dig that yellow color too. It really highlights the "grain" of the horn very nicely.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 09:19:39 PM »
Nice job Tim. 

Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."