Author Topic: Turkey gun NEW:Test Patterning  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Wyoduster

Turkey gun NEW:Test Patterning
« on: June 26, 2019, 12:16:51 AM »
Going to call her "The Flyer" its a 20 ga. Colerain Turkey Choke barrel .. Sorta just winged...(little pun) this one.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 07:53:46 PM by Wyoduster »

Offline Tim

• Just an ordinary Guy from Alabama.
Re: finished Turkey gun
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 12:52:33 AM »
You did a great job on it. Looks nice and ready to take a big Gobbler.
Tim

Offline old george

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 01:01:52 AM »
Ole Tom better watch out this fall ;D Very nice job.

geo
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline will payne

• AKA dead eye/ Coder /Ethical Hacker
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 02:29:37 AM »
Nice job. I really like the turkey you added to butt of the gun. :)
Will
🕯
Will

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 09:04:02 PM »
That's a very good looking gun, and I like the rear sight.  Got one on mine, too.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 11:57:36 PM »
Soon as those turkeys see that firearm, they will line up to be first to be shot by it.

Really did a nice job, love the color.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Wyoduster

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 01:39:35 AM »
Thanks . I can't wait to pattern it. Hopefully in the next week I can sneak away and try it out.

Offline mony

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 07:12:30 PM »
Nicely done

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 07:54:24 AM »
Thanks . I can't wait to pattern it. Hopefully in the next week I can sneak away and try it out.
I'd like to hear about how your testing goes as I just finished a 20 gauge smoothly myself.
You used some pretty wood for yours, i like it.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline The Stumbler

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 01:00:32 PM »
Im in the process of putting together a Colerain 20 gauge myself and will be looking forward to your posts on shot patterns and loads.

Offline will payne

• AKA dead eye/ Coder /Ethical Hacker
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 02:56:26 AM »
Soon as those turkeys see that firearm, they will line up to be first to be shot by it.

Really did a nice job, love the color.
That was funny.
🕯
Will

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline little joe

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 11:11:22 PM »
Workmanship and finish look good however you need to study your lock panel design and comb to wrist transition to make a finer piece.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 12:14:07 AM »
I agree, sometimes it is best to study a few fowler pictures instead of winging it, I am sure your gun will kill the turkeys graveyard dead which is what you want in the long run.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 12:54:47 AM »
It will be great fun to bring down the gobblers for sure. Our area has seen a large up swing in the turkey populations. I would really like to put one of these together to help with the population control.  Not being familiar with the Colrain turkey choke barrel what is the size of the bore at the muzzle? Its not another way of saying Jug choke is it?
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 03:54:54 AM »
Form Colerain;

Turkey Choke Barrels

For many years now we have been producing turkey choke gun barrels. These barrels are for shot only due the tight restriction at the muzzle. We offer these in 20 gauge bore that restricts to 58 caliber at the muzzle. We have had nothing but wonderful success with these barrels. For those of you that love turkey hunting and muzzleloading then you should try this. Will you be handicapped, only in the fact that you will be limited to one shot! These barrels are capable of out shooting modern turkey guns with the right load, shot patterns are extremely tight

Offline Wyoduster

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 12:36:21 AM »
Eric, Thanks for the roundup on the barrels. I plan on patterning my gun after this busy weekend. I own a Campground, Hard to get away on weekends. I will post pics of groups.

Form Colerain;

Turkey Choke Barrels

For many years now we have been producing turkey choke gun barrels. These barrels are for shot only due the tight restriction at the muzzle. We offer these in 20 gauge bore that restricts to 58 caliber at the muzzle. We have had nothing but wonderful success with these barrels. For those of you that love turkey hunting and muzzleloading then you should try this. Will you be handicapped, only in the fact that you will be limited to one shot! These barrels are capable of out shooting modern turkey guns with the right load, shot patterns are extremely tight

Offline Wyoduster

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 09:04:21 PM »
I finally got to shoot "ole Flyer". I'm shooting a little to the right and I can't see that front sight very well.
But all in all I'm pretty happy with it. Targets were 25 yds. Using 70 gr. 2F powder and 1oz of #5 lead shot. I used 2 ox yoke lubed 20 ga. wads between and a thin over shot card on top.
Should knock one down don't ya think?

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2019, 11:52:47 PM »
The colerain turkey barrel is capable of much better patterns.   If you wanted a better pattern....and heavier load.   Personally I wouldn't trust your patterns to a turkey hunt. But that's just me.  It'll probably work at that range...but I don't like probably. 

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 12:38:53 AM »
I will have to agree with Mauser on your pattern colerain barrels will do a lot better than that I'd say boost your powder charge a little bit and a little more shot. I would probably just use the thin overshot cards and one or two lubed w a d s. 2 shots from a properly loaded turkey choke barrel will destroy a 9-inch paper plate. You're not there yet don't settle on that load you are using. This is just my opinion take it for what it's worth. Curt

Offline Wyoduster

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2019, 01:36:56 AM »
It was just my test run.. I will work on it more..

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 02:30:45 AM »

That's a 30 yard pattern with #6 nickel plated lead.  I've had a 38" and 44" barrel.  Both have shot nearly identical with similar loads.   120-130ish hits in a 10" circle at 30yds. 

I shoot a heavier charge and more weight though. 

Offline Wyoduster

Re: Turkey gun NEW:Test Patterning
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 07:58:36 PM »
The first three are with #6 lead shot, The forth one is with#5 lead shot. You'all were right more powder more shot and tried 1,2, & 3 wads(lubed oxyoke) 3 was the best..

Offline Mauser06

Re: Turkey gun NEW:Test Patterning
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2019, 08:04:25 PM »
Looks better from here!   Scoot it to the left a bit and it'll look nice!