Author Topic: Georgia pouch - Bag #12  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Marcruger

Georgia pouch - Bag #12
« on: June 01, 2019, 12:36:30 AM »
Hi Folks,

My friend Ron Hess encouraged me to do a Georgia style bag based on an original.  It is not a copy of the original, because the photos I've seen haven't been great.  But this is certainly inspired by the original.  It is 2-3 ounce high grade cowhide, and is very supple.  The straps are 4-5 ounce cowhide.  The welt is goatskin.  This is a single pocket design, inside-out bag.  The buckle is a Richard Lanni creation.  I added a stiffener in the back between the strap attachments for body.  I hope y'all enjoy this one.  It is a deviation from the type of bags that usually crawl from my leatherworking table. :-)  God Bless and best wishes,  Marc

Offline Brokennock

Re: Georgia pouch - Bag #12
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 03:35:48 AM »
Very good. I like the color and how the feel of the leather comes through in the pictures. What did you use for dye and finish? Do you cut your own straps or use precut straps/strips from a vendor?

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 03:55:27 AM »
I normally buy tooling sides (so I can tool naturally), but in this case I wanted to be able to cut those "sawtooth" edges without having to dye both sides.  I ordered a bridle side that was prefinished from a tannery.  It was a gamble, as I had no idea if the finish would "shatter" or the dye would lighten when I broke the leather.  All came out well, and I added an oil & wax finish over the top.  I feel a little straightjacketed with pre-finished leather, but for a project like this it really worked in my opinion. 

When I dye tooling leather, I use thinned Fiebing's Pro Dye, built up in coats.  Then Neatsfoot Oil and the oil & wax top finish.  It takes a while, but it allows for control of the color.  Here is a picture I posted recently of a wallet I dyed in a russet finish. 

Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 03:59:17 AM »
I was just playing around with horns that might be appropriate with this type of bag.  Here are two from the gang that seemed to work nicely:
First is a Georgia horn with red painted detailing from Ron Hess.

And below is Tim Crosby's "Snake" horn.

Having too many choices is a goodpickle to be in sometimes.   :-) 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline msellers

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 05:45:44 AM »
Marc,
Very nice. I do like the pairings as well. Hard to make a decision on which I like better.
Mike

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 06:15:33 PM »
Nice Marc.
How does yours differ from the original?

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 04:57:07 PM »
Theres  nothing sweeter than a banded horn and bag like that. Perfection.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 07:33:33 PM »
Thank you for the kind comments. 

I am going to add a little line of stitching to make sure the "hinge" lays down better against the front flap. 

James, here is what I had to work from (not my photo).  Since it was so hard to make out details, I just went with the flavor of the bag rather than making a straight copy.  If anyone has a better set of photos of this bag, I'd like to see them.  From the looks of this photo, it had a lot of repairs and modifications over the years. 

Best wishes and God Bless,   Marc

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 11:22:33 PM »
I do like that bag; great work!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 02:22:40 AM »
Marcruger:

Great looking bag(s).  Glad the different side worked out for you....  Keep up the good work.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Online scottmc

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 03:57:27 AM »
I'd say you hit it pretty close.  I saw that bag on display at the smokey mountain heritage center.  I also liked it and thought of trying to reproduce it but haven't yet.  It's also pictured in the book by Randal Pierce on the heritage center display.  I'm curious why you refer to it as a Georgia bag?  It supposedly came into Caves Cove with a bean rifle but is there more to the story?  I'm interested if so.🤓
Remember Paoli!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 05:38:47 PM »
My fault. You are correct that it is more likely TN. Apparently I wasn’t listening well earlier.

I am going to add a short line of stitching to that hinge “skirt” to hold it flatter to the flap.

With detail photos some day, I’d like to take another crack at this one. As I noted earlier, this bag is not claimed to be a bench copy. Just influenced by the original.

God bless, Marc

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 01:08:06 AM »

I am going to add a short line of stitching to that hinge “skirt” to hold it flatter to the flap.

A little bit of glue would probably be just as effective, way less work, and aesthetically less disruptive, my armchair vantage point anyway

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2019, 04:27:21 AM »
That’s cool Marc.  I did one a while back from that picture.  I like yours. 

Mike

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2019, 02:29:55 PM »
Hey Mike, like minds I guess. Our two interpretations of the bag came out mighty similar. You did a really nice job.

Eric, great idea on the glue. It actually lays down already much better than the pictures show. The sun made some deep shadows.

God bless, Marc