Author Topic: New Horn Class with Billy Griner  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Ian Pratt

New Horn Class with Billy Griner
« on: June 04, 2019, 03:15:42 AM »
Announcing a new class for 2019 ! The new offering is a 3 day workshop on making Southern Banded Horns with instructor Billy Griner. Here is the class description from the Southern Ohio Artisan Workshops website  - 

"Learn how to craft a late 18th/ 19th Century style banded powder horn in the Southern tradition of North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Georgia with horn maker Billy Griner.

Using a variety of hand and power tools including knives, rasps, files, and wood-lathe,  each student will experience the artistic process of creating their own Southern Banded Powder Horn. Class time will accentuate not only the lathe work to make horn parts but also the hand work required to produce Southern Banded Powder Horns

Horn making and wood lathe experience is required for this class.  Raw materials including horn and wood will be provided.   Work stations for lathe setup and hand work are provided. Students must bring their own wood lathe and all required tools. "

Please note that some horn making experience and prior lathe use are required. For more information on this and other workshops for 2019 / 2020 , please see the Southern Ohio Artisan Workshops website -  www.southernohioartisanworkshops.com 

Some of Billy Griner's work -

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
Re: New Horn Class with Billy Griner
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 03:40:11 AM »
That's gonna be a class well worth taking. Sorry I will have to miss it.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 04:04:44 PM »
What an opportunity...jump on this peoples...

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 12:42:50 AM »
I would love to go, but I have yet to figure out how I could move my lathe by myself.