Author Topic: Henderson Flintlock  (Read 5379 times)

robpack@Hotmail.com

Henderson Flintlock
« on: June 08, 2019, 08:29:05 PM »
Hi looking at purchasing this Henderson flintlock. Owner says it is in good condition? ANYONE have an estimated value?

upload image to url

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Henderson Flintlock
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 09:00:58 PM »
Depends on if you're buying or selling. $800-$1000.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

robpack@Hotmail.com

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 01:10:48 AM »
Tks Mr Brooks I think the guy wants 1100 for it!!! seems like not a bad deal!!

Offline EC121

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 03:47:46 AM »
$1100 is not much above parts cost.  Is the barrel swamped?
Brice Stultz

robpack@Hotmail.com

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 05:33:26 AM »
I have no clue

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 06:42:25 PM »
I have no clue
If I were the buyer that would make or break the deal.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

robpack@Hotmail.com

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 02:38:07 AM »
OK I have contacted the seller he says it is NOT swamped but its very light and accurate he wants 900 bucks for the rifle!! I am seriously considering it? Not sure its about 3 hours away from me to drive and pick it up!!! Guess the only thing I need to take is some powder, patches and a bore scope not going to buy it without firing it !!! What does everyone think? It is definitely not swamped he said so himself?

robpack@Hotmail.com

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 11:00:38 AM »
SO I have googled this W C Henderson and I get nothing?  Was he a popular maker? Is he still making flintlocks? Any information greatly appreciated>????

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 02:48:19 PM »
Looks like this was made by an above average hobby builder who did some elementary carving and engraving. There are hundreds of such who remain mostly anonymous. I have a friend who builds very fine Southern mountain rifles who commented that the name of the builder can account for a lot of the sales price.

With this rifle you’re getting what looks like a well constructed, nicely finished used longrifle. Not having handled it or looked down the bore you don’t know if it has any issues. Probably everything is as it should be. If you went to Friendship I’m guessing you’d find a couple dozen used rifles to choose from in the $800 to $1200 price range. And some new ones around $1000 to $1200 believe it or not. A lot depends on the barrel, whether straight or swamped.
Andover, Vermont

robpack@Hotmail.com

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 08:30:50 PM »
Thank Mr.Pierce for your input!  The barrel is NOT swamped but the seller says it is light and accurate!! I have some time to think as this is not a hot item this time of year! Just getting some expert advice!  Thanks again! The seller agreed to meet halfway which cuts my drive time in half which is a good thing... Thanks so much for helping me decide! 

robpack@Hotmail.com

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 02:20:02 AM »
Well I was ready to buy this flintlock simply to hunt with ……...I told the guy id meet him and id bring black powder, balls and patches as well as a bore scope-----he replied, " I want to sell it not spend time at a range shooting it".. I reversed my decision immediately!!! Not buying something the guy refuses to shoot!!!!!

Offline Molly

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 03:18:51 PM »
It seems to be a common practice of sellers to allow one to "examine" a rifle and let the buyer make an evaluation but not to shoot it.  The natural question being, "who will clean it?"  And it if is newly made and never been fired a test firing is even more unlikely as "use" diminishes value in the eyes of many buyers and sellers.
Just from the pics, that rifle looks sound.  Live on the edge...BUY IT!

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 05:35:44 PM »
The seller is already spending his time and $ driving to meet you half way , so you may want to re evaluate your decision.
I'm at the age where I charge a 10% aggravation charge for some customers.  You could very well find yourself on that list  ::)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 08:53:35 PM »
I am not trying to defend the seller but if I were him I would have told you the same thing! It is rare to have shooting rights to a gun before you buy it especially after driving an hour and a half to deliver it and only getting $900 for a rifle like that.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

robpack@Hotmail.com

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 08:14:43 PM »
I do agree you guys are exactly correct!!! LOL I was SO not thinking of the "involvement" of cleaning one of these rifles!!! He did say I could bring a bore scope!! I didn't buy it!! The more I thought about it I thought OMG do I really want to have to go thru the cleaning of this rifle after every time I shoot it in  PA muzzleloader season!!!! (I know I could probably wipe it down and clean it every 2 days) but im a stickler with guns and cleaning them!!! Someone else will own it!! I thank everyone for the information I recd!!! Yeah definitely didn't think the " let me shoot it first" through!!!!! I have 2 thompsons (don't like the sights on them) but that is something I can change if need be!! Once again thanks for all your input!!!!!!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 10:05:30 PM »
I wouldn't be interested in somebody shooting a gun before they bought it under most circumstances. In fact, I have never been offered a " shoot first buy after" option on the hundreds of guns I have bought in my lifetime. It's always you shoot it, it's now your gun.
 What is it your so worried about? If it has a good bore and was built of quality parts you don't need to worry, it's going to work.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 01:13:55 AM »
OP:  if you are not prepared to clean the rifle the day you shoot it, pick another hobby and/or hunting arm!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

robpack@Hotmail.com

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 02:14:07 AM »
Very good point!!!!! I should stick to the "easy" flintlocks that you can pull one pin loosen the frizzen and out comes the barrel!!!!

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 03:03:18 PM »
You are a new comer on this site, so you obviously have some interest in BP and muzzleloaders. You mention having what appears to be half stock rifles, with a barrel wedge .   Take some time to read up on posts here concerning cleaning. Traditional long rifles , fowlers, [ full stocked ]  etc can have either pins or wedges depending on style and time period.
Either way, cleaning is not the arduous task that many seem to think it is.  5 to 10 min at the most for me, and that is after shooting 50 or more shots.  Don't let "cleaning" keep you from enjoying a wonderful hobby.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2019, 03:43:50 PM »
I think I could tel more about how well a gun is made by cleaning it.  Sort of like washing yer car and finding a ding.  When I go over every inch of a gun in a good cleaning, that's when I might discover, and have, the little things that I don't really like.  Oerhaps a fake front lock bolt, or a wood screw for a tang bolt.  A pc of wood or patch glued in as a repair.  Just any little thing that doesn't really huty function, but not what I'd pay top dollar for.
Just my thoughts

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 04:50:11 PM »
It is situations like this that drive me closer to retirement all the time. ???

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 05:19:11 PM »
I remember the feeling of wanting to shoot but not clean right after.. Pop taught me to suppress that inclination with a superbly chosen cherry switch. He was a fan of “Raise ‘em up in the way they should go...”  :o

I’m an enthusiastic scrubber.....
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 05:31:02 PM by Bhmack »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2019, 05:58:36 PM »
It is situations like this that drive me closer to retirement all the time. ???

I’m sure I shared this before but back in the early 80s I had a rifle on consignment at a small shop and the proprietor lent it out for a rondy!
Andover, Vermont

Offline jaeren

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2019, 06:04:52 PM »
Very good point!!!!! I should stick to the "easy" flintlocks that you can pull one pin loosen the frizzen and out comes the barrel!!!!

What ever happened to you bivens. Did you ever find a buyer.

robpack@Hotmail.com

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2019, 07:21:36 PM »
Still own it!!!   Not really looking to sell it at the time!  Its safe and sound and still unfired!!!