Author Topic: 1976 Larry Mrock rifle  (Read 7059 times)

JCochrane

1976 Larry Mrock rifle
« on: June 09, 2019, 02:28:12 AM »
I live in the Albuquerque, New Mexico metro area, and went to visit a friend who lives in Santa Fe earlier this week. She had accidentally discovered that a gallery on the Plaza has a “gun room” that they usually keep locked up. The gallery currently deals in Native American antiquities and art, and the guns were something the original owner had going that his daughter is not interested in maintaining after his passing, nor do they have staff knowledgeable enough to sell some of the things they have in there. My friend took me by because she knows how much I love longrifles, and let me tell you there were some beautiful and drool-worthy guns in there, both genuine historic and contemporary reproductions. A particular rifle caught my eye, and I fell in love pretty fast. The gallery offered me an insanely low price on it seeing as how the owner is looking to get rid of all the guns by this winter, so I said I’d think about it. Then I found out more about it and fell even harder, and ultimately discussed it with my husband and ended up going back to buy it.

It turned out it was a rifle made by Lawrence (Larry) Mrock in 1976 (not sure if it’s the bicentennial rifle or not as I was born in ‘79 and have never seen one). Absolutely beautiful unfired .50 cal flintlock rifle with a 44” barrel,  curly maple stock, engraved brass patch box, carving and silver wire inlay on the stock, a silver engraved man in the moon on top, and a brass plate on the opposite side from the lock that says “Ah-wee-teh-la”. As near as anyone can tell me that inscription is phonetic Cherokee or a sister language, and means “Deer Slayer” or “Killdeer”. Which is amazing because I’ve been a Last of the Mohicans fan for the majority of my life, and serendipitously coming across such a fine rifle with the same name as Hawkeye’s is really awesome. I’m terribly excited to have had this basically fall into my lap. My other two Longrifles (A simple Traditions caplock Pennsylvania and a Pedersoli 1836 Alamo reproduction) are nice and fun to shoot, but not in this class. My goal has always been to own a well-made contemporary reproduction, and I always thought I would have to travel east to a show to find anything like what I wanted. Turns out I only had to go 50 miles north. I want to contact the gallery and see if they have any record of where this rifle came from - I’d really like to know about the inscription and why the original owner had that done, etc. I’ve attached photos of “Deer Slayer” to this post, I hope y’all enjoy looking at her as much as I do!

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 04:43:25 PM by JCochrane »

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
Re: 1976 Larry Mrock rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 02:43:24 AM »
Larry Myrock was a top maker in the late 70's and 80's.  The rifle ,as you may know is in the Bucks Co. style.

Offline johngross

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 02:48:46 AM »

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 02:53:31 AM »
JCochrane; very nice rifle gun. Great wood and color. some very interesting build features. Also a school I have interest in, Bucks Co.style. I started this hobby in 1974 I know that time period well. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week end. AJ.

"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

realtorone

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 03:56:01 AM »
Very Nice You got a great rifle

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 05:23:18 AM »
Glad it’s being appreciated. Very nice.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Levi Garrett

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 05:46:40 AM »
Nice rifle and the smile on your face says it all. I believe it found a good home!

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 05:22:08 PM »
Larry was a very high level builder and did a number of rifles during the Bicentennial year. A friend has one that was part of a limited run for a Bicentennial group but I'm drawing a blblank on the organization. The one you have shown is a very nice looking piece. I may be wrong but I think Larry was from Michigan.
Mark
Mark

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 05:46:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure he's up in Maine somewhere, and while I don't know him, I think he may still be kicking and possibly you can track him down and get a back story directly from 'the horses mouth' so to speak.  It's a distinctive engraving on the side plate so very possibly he may remember the rifle.  Someone mentioned him to me about a year or so ago and I believe had spoken to him, although now I can't remember who I was talking to.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline elk killer

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 08:22:14 PM »
Larry has some rifles pictured in Robert Weils contemporary makers of muzzleloading firearms book..one is a vey close copy of your rifle,
also I sent you a PM
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline EC121

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 08:35:16 PM »
  That is a nice rifle.  A Bucks county is on my wish list.
      I have one of his bicentennial rifles from 1975.  He did good work.  With this rifle he even included a test target with the instructions on how to shoot it and clean it in a folder along with a letter apologizing being late with the delivery due to breaking his ankle.  Also has pictures of it being built.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 03:34:38 AM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 08:35:37 PM »
 ;) ;) ;)... Good to see you on this site,... !!! ... this will become your 1st view every morning and is habit-forming,...!!! ... as we discussed on the FB page, you did extremely well as his guns seldom are offered for sale.... I like Tennessee Rifles, but Bucks County and Lehigh Valley are my favorite Pennsylvania guns and this one is one of the best re-creations I've seen..... You're big-time now, so look back through the archived postings and enjoy,... !!! ..... regards, (and in awe and jealous),.... Cades Cove Fiddler,....

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 01:21:17 AM »
What a great find!  And no trip east for it either - lucky!
That is a beautiful piece of workmanship, and I think any of us would be proud to own it.
Do you have any specs like length of barrel, caliber, etc.?  I love the use of the little brass nails as decoration and to hold on some of the inlays.  The use of silver at the finials is a new one for me.
Thanks so much for showing it to us, and I predict you will be showing us more as time goes on.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

JCochrane

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 04:31:23 AM »
Craig, the tag said she’s a .52 cal, but the gallery people don’t have much knowledge of these firearms. She’s never been fired and on my own inspection, measurements with a digital micrometer  and testing with a patch and ball I say she’s more like a .50cal. Barrel is 44” long, octagon. Single set trigger. I’m 5’3” tall and she’s just about longer than me. She’s a fine beast. :D I’ve been asked if I plan to shoot her, and I do. I’ve heard Larry’s rifles perform beautifully, and after living in silence for 44 years I think it’s time to hear her speak.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 02:27:38 PM »
Here’s another Mrock rifle from 1976. This one came out of the Roughton Collection.

Stop Marxism in America

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 02:51:15 PM »
The thing about builders like Larry Mrock is that he was killing it at a time when few were and when access to originals was much more limited.
Andover, Vermont

Online Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 03:36:05 AM »
There is, or was, another Mrock rifle, a swivel breach, at Ron Peterson's in ABQ about a year ago in the back where the good stuff is. No money, so there it stayed. Story was that Mr. Mrock's widow consigned it with them. I can't validate that, however.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Mick C

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 07:43:45 PM »
Wow!   What an amazing rifle....an amazing find....and an amazing story.  That is a piece of art worthy of cherishing for life and handing down to children.  Thanks for sharing.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline 45-110

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 08:09:14 PM »
Larry used to set up his builders bench every year at the Greenfield Village Muzzle loaders festival in Michigan in the early '70's. He was always a people draw, and I spent a lot of time there watching him at work. For me, he was one of the first "professional builders" I met, then came Mark Silver. My Dad had a Mrock rifle back then and it was a really nice piece. So you have ended up with a nice rifle!

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 08:49:37 PM »
Wayne - Stoner Creek - that 1976 piece seems to be an excellent reproduction of H. Rupp's 1793 rifle, or at least the butt stock and patch box do.  However, one rarely sees such a straight butt plate line.
Have you fired that piece, or known anyone who has?  Curious to see what that straight line would feel like - a bit rough on the shoulder, I should think.
No question, however, that Mr. Mrock was an outright champion at making beautiful firearms!  Thanks to you and Miss JCochrane for showing us his work.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2019, 01:44:26 AM »
Larry Mrock worked as a materials engineer at Williams Research in Walled Lake, Michigan. Mid-1970'sl he went on his own as a custom muzzle-loading rifle maker & restorer of same. Moved to somewhere in New England, forget where. During the 1970's he had occasion to examine quite a number of originals during a trip through Eastern Pennsylvania, including those of two now deceased KRA members. His Bicentennial rifle was in the style of John Haga, Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Not sure what all original Haga rifles he had studied, I know this was one of them:

Offline lexington1

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 04:29:00 AM »
I love Larry Mrocks work! I had one of his Lancaster Historical Society rifles he built during the Bicentennial and I swapped it away. I wish I still had it. I do have the swivel breech rifle that Ron Peterson had. I bought it a couple years back. I'll get some pics and put up here.

Offline EC121

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 04:35:20 AM »
I have one of  his bicentenial rifles with the instruction book he sent with it.  Nice rifle. 
Brice Stultz

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 05:29:22 AM »
Beautiful rifle.  I saw a Mrock at the show this weekend and have handled Stoner Creeks.  Mrocks carving and engraving stule is what I like.  There’s few that has his style of engraving and carving.  Lots overdo it making it look too much like it was machine cut.

Offline Eddie Southgate

• Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 .
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2019, 06:57:54 AM »
Very fine rifle , glad you were able to rescue it .
Grumpy Old Man With A gun ,,,,, Do Not Touch !