Author Topic: FInished pouch  (Read 2597 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
FInished pouch
« on: June 09, 2019, 03:44:57 AM »
I really liked my pouch but it was too big and heavy.  I made this smaller one that’s 6” wide with a gusset that taperes all the way around.  It’s very roomy for its size.  I really like it.   I need to figure out how to attach a patch knife sheath.   My old pouch has it on the strap and it’s very convenient.  This is a 1” strap where the other is 2”.  I might still attach it to the strap.  Suggestions are welcome. 

64 sided die

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: FInished pouch
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 04:18:28 AM »
Mike, that bag is just plain snazzy!  I like everything about it...you nailed this one!  I really dig that buckle, where’d you find it?

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 04:56:06 AM »
Hey Mike.  That is some nice work.  Nice lines.  You should be proud of that one sir.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 05:16:08 AM »
I like smaller pouches, and that is a nice one.

Offline msellers

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 06:34:56 AM »
Mike,
That is some fine work, you are picking up leather work almost as fast as it seems you did gun building.

Mike

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 07:27:05 AM »
If that pouch were transformed into a plant, it would be a PEACH!!!  ;D

DANDY, and I do mean DANDY pouch, sir!!!

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 08:03:13 AM »
Thanks for the compliments.  Things are slow right now.  The wife is off for summer break so, I’m doing more remodeling projects in my free time than fun stuff.  Greg,  I found the buckle on eBay. 

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 03:37:04 PM »
 Good look'n bag, nice work.

Tim

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 04:16:58 PM »
Super nice bag. Love it. I like to sew a brass button on my strap so I can use leather lace top and bottom of my sheath.The top one holds the sheath on the  button and the bottom one orients it to the strap. Handy.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 05:22:59 PM »
Nice bag vet!

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 01:33:03 AM »
You turned out a charmer, Mike.  I like everything about it.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 03:57:31 AM »
Very nice.
Kunk

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 07:14:07 AM »
Very nice bag, I like it a lot. Well done.

Not sure how big of a knife you are talking about. The knife I sometimes hang off my bag has about a 5" blade. One thing I've done is to make a welter sheath leaving just a small tab coming up from the back (like you've cut the belt loop on a standard fixed blade knife sheath), the table needs be wider than the strap.
Then I cut 2 slots horizontally across the tab, just wide enough for the bag strap to squeeze through. Unbuckle the strap, thread it through the slots, and the knife will hang at the back of the bag.

I've been toying with the idea of a small rectangle of leather sewn at either end to the back of the bad, horizontally. Wide enough for a center seam sheath to slide into between the bag's back and the rectangle of leather, using the same folded over flap of leather that keeps the sheath from falling through one's sash  or belt to catch on the strip of leather.

Hopefully I explained the 2 ideas okay.

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 02:03:39 PM »
Nice work. Great looking bag, Mark.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline scottmc

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 03:53:03 PM »
Vet, nice job!  Very roomy for a small bag which is good.  What thickness of leather did I use?  Looks more than 2-3 oz.
Remember Paoli!

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 05:00:59 PM »
Vet, nice job!  Very roomy for a small bag which is good.  What thickness of leather did I use?  Looks more than 2-3 oz.
I picked the hide up while on vacation in Phoenix at a Tandy Leather Warehouse.  It was a huge 4 foot high pile of half sides 3-5 oz Argentina Cow Hide.  I tried to pick the thinnest and most uniform that I could find.  My guess would be that it is 3-4 oz. The trim around the flap and lip is 1 oz goat hide and the strap is standard Ebay leather strap thickness.  All the leather was pretty nice except for one strap from Ebay.  It seemed to be more like card board than leather. 

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 03:26:17 AM »
Nice job on a good looking pouch.

I like your choice of fabric, and the design and stitching look first quality.

Well done.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 01:26:41 AM »
Nice pouch Mike!
Make me one PLEASE!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 12:24:12 PM »
It's a very nice bag and you're too critical of your work. In the event you get more really dry leather like the strap, I found something that seemed to breath new life into my old leather items called Leather Lube. I got it at Academy sports if memory serves me right.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 06:52:22 PM »
Thanks for the advice and compliments. 

Nice pouch Mike!
Make me one PLEASE!

I have the patterns if you want them.  I also have several bags that I'm willing to part with.  I can send you pics if you like.  I'm starting to acquire a pile of 21st Century 18th Century stuff I've made.  I guess everyone here can relate. This one took a while due to all the stitching, learning curve and I work at a snails pace.  If you want one like this one, it will take me some time. 

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 05:41:54 AM »
Mike, looks like you left out pockets on the inside. That's how I like my personal bags, no pockets. I sometimes attach knife sheaths on the back of the bag body on an angle. The handle points toward the front down by the strap.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2019, 06:07:10 AM »
Thanks Brian.  That’s a nice setup you have on the upcoming auction. I’m going to make another like this one and try the sheath like you said. My other bags had pockets and I just don’t use them.  I thought about putting leather loops inside the bag to hold the tools but with the gusset,  it’s easy to feel around or even look in it.  That little rolledpiece of leather holds several flints,  my chipping tool and a screw driver.  Since it’s used rarely,  it sits in the bottom of the bag. 

Offline Mick C

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2019, 07:01:53 PM »
I love that!  Beautiful job.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!