Author Topic: Evan Ward, Hampshire County, WV  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Hlbly

Evan Ward, Hampshire County, WV
« on: June 09, 2019, 07:56:39 PM »
Picked this one up Friday. Excellent condition, looks like he made it and set it in the closet. Probably the coolest peep sight I have ever seen, and I have seen quite a few in my 50 plus years of collecting. The peep sight tube is made of horn. Gun is original in every way, un-cut, un-molested in any way. Varnish is still all there.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Evan Ward, Hampshire County, WV
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 08:09:02 PM »
 :o :o :o... Wow,... A really nice one,... !!!... most likely took out of the closet in the fall for a couple beef shoots, cleaned really well and oiled and put back until next year,... still could be fired,... give us some specs,...and more pix,... !!! ... Thanx for posting, Gerald,....regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 08:21:14 PM »
38 inch barrel, 33 cal., fastened with 4 iron wedges. Not a heavy bench gun at all, just an average sized rifle.

dogbest

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 10:30:52 PM »
Nice gun. Congrats!

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 11:57:57 PM »
Congratulations.  I have owned a few Evan P Ward rifles over the years.  Here is  one I currently have. I have it hanging over the door into our kitchen.  Most of his rifles  are signed E P W, mine is signed E P Ward & I think the one on ALR museum is signed E P Ward. Thanks for sharing.  Oh, love the condition.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 01:03:37 AM »
Gerald, that is an outstanding rifle, and in tip-top condition.  That very unique peep sight was probably the reason for the very first "scope eye"!
May have to try one of those.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline homerifle

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 02:09:55 AM »
Good find Gerald! Really like the peep and its nice to see they're still turning up in that condition. I hope you bring it to the KRA show so we can see it up close and personal.