Author Topic: Using LMF Stains  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Nhgrants

Using LMF Stains
« on: June 15, 2019, 02:10:39 PM »
My plan was to appy diluted cherry to my cherry stock and then apply diluted american walnut over it.
I plan to test this with scraps first.  Do I first put denatured alcohol in a cup and then add the stain to it by
Just drops or much more like teaspoons?  I guess I asking is it just a very little LMF stain added to the denatured   alcohol ?
Thanks

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Using LMF Stains
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 05:14:30 PM »
The few times I used LMF I used it straight out of the can.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 07:16:55 PM »
The best way is to mix it proportionally, I.e. One to one, one to two, etc.  That way you can duplicate the results on your test strips.
Otherwise, it's just a guess.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Frank

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 09:32:35 PM »
I always apply full strength because it tends to fade over time.

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 06:28:23 PM »
LMF stains are used w/o diluting, except the red.....made the mistake of using it full strength and it was the brightest red I could imagine and was very difficult to tone down. Never again......Fred

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 07:31:30 PM »
except the red.....made the mistake of using it full strength and it was the brightest red I could imagine and was very difficult to tone down.
You tone it down by soaking a pad with alcohol and rubbing.  It will pull some of the stain out into the pad.  This is also useful if you have a mottled finish and need to even it out.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline flehto

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 12:28:34 AM »
I did just that numerous times and the red color was very stubborn so finally applied some dark brown LMF, rubbed that out w/ alcohol and it did the job......Fred