Author Topic: Drilling a rr hole in a half stock???  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

Drilling a rr hole in a half stock???
« on: June 11, 2019, 10:41:12 PM »
Hey folks. So, I'm working on building a 1/2 stock English Fowler. I'm at the point of drilling the rr hole now. How do you guys do it to make sure the bit doesn't wander? It doesn't have the benefit of the rr groove in a full stock to guide it. Thanks guys.

Offline Mauser06

Re: Drilling a rr hole in a half stock???
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 11:05:59 PM »
I'd imagine you'd mount the barrel rib (if there is gunna be one) and pipes. Use the pipes to guide the bit. 

Never drilled a random hole but that makes sense in my head. 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 11:10:39 PM »
On a fullstock I make a top block with the other half of the ramrod groove/hole in it and clamp it in place to keep the drill starting right for first few inches. I’d make something similar for a half stock.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 11:13:12 PM »
Put your rib and pipes on the barrel, put the barrel in the stock and use the pipes as a guide. Don’t crowd the bit, clear the shavings out frequently.

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 11:28:49 PM »
Here is what GRRW and OTR used in their shop.  Same concept that Hlbly and Mauser06 suggest.  One jig has a section of barrel that is 1" across the flats and the other is 15/16" for the common barrel sizes they sold for their half stock rifles.  Each one has a couple pieces of rib and tubes soldered on.  One tube is 7/16" and the other is 3/8" for their common ramrod sizes.

I suspect the slots cut in the tubes of the top jig were meant to aid in clearing wood chips.
Phil Meek

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 12:42:59 AM »

Never drilled a random hole but that makes sense in my head.

I know the above quote is courtesy of autocorrect,but it still accurately describes my process. :-\

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 01:25:08 AM »
An acomplished builder suggested to me ; drill the hole first, locate it in the stock by drilling holes and measuring, lay out, inlet barrel,etc. Essentially take the worst part first then adjust. Worked for me. Won't help now,maybe in the future.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 01:31:02 AM by ed lundquist »

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 02:13:58 AM »
The simplest way is to use the ram rod pipes as your drill guide.  The other way is to drill out a couple of guide blocks, wood or plastic, clamp them to the barrel and drill.
David

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 03:18:16 AM »
Just did one today.  I installed the rib and pipes.  I then used the rib to guide a 3/8" transfer punch.  I then started the hole with a center bit, with the barrel off.  I reinstalled the barrel.    I then drilled with the long bit through the ramrod pipes.  The process was 99% worry and 1% drilling the hole.   I spent 10X as long getting the entry pipe to fit right. 

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 02:32:07 PM »
When I lay out stock outline on the plank I always leave an extra 10"-12" in front of the entry hole.  This provides enough guide for the drill bit..Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 02:49:28 PM »
Hi,
This is really not difficult.  As other wrote, simply install the rib and pipes on the barrel, place the barrel in the stock and use the pipes as your guide.  This also insures that the hole is lined up with your rib and no unsightly gaps will result.  However, if your barrel is tapered or swamped, you may have to taper the rib to keep the groove and hole parallel with the bore or allow the groove and hole to be parallel with the profile of the barrel.  I choose the latter although is does mean  still have to taper the rid for any flare at the muzzle, but I let it follow the profile of the barrel from the waist back to the breech. This enables a nice thin but even web of wood for the barrels length rather than the web thinning toward the breech.  It makes it easier to fit barrel tennons and the forward lock bolt if there is to be one.  In my design, I also keep a constant thickness of wood below the ramrod hole, which automatically gives the bottom of the stock a pleasing taper from the trigger guard to the rear ramrod pipe. That gives the stock a robust, business-like but elegant appearance.  Also, I urge you to inlet your pipes into the rib.  Don't just solder them on top of the groove.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 05:20:17 PM »
Thanks for the advice, guys. The rib and thimbles way sounds like an excellent and simple solution. I am working with a  20 ga tapered octagon to round barrel.