Author Topic: First attempt at a bag  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Mike from OK

First attempt at a bag
« on: July 08, 2019, 05:06:58 AM »
Primitive and poorly executed. Full of mistakes. But I learned a few things... And the bag is functional. LOL

I hadn't planned to add a gusset originally. But as small as the bag is I figured it needed one so a hand could reach in. So I added one. It's a little under an inch. I also went back and forth over using the D rings, but in the end I added them. I haven't finished the strap yet either... still need to add my primitive adjustment system to it.

Mike

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Re: First attempt at a bag
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 05:08:30 AM »
Great design.  Looks good to me.  It’s a lot better than my first attempt.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 03:21:34 PM »
 For a first attempt I'd say you did a good job, from what I can see the gusset looks like it fits well. I am a Big (as in size) bag fan. 

Tim

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 05:10:27 PM »
I think it would be prudent to use some 4-5 ounce cowhide for the strap. Your bag looks nice. Good color already. God bless, Marc

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 12:55:17 AM »
I think it would be prudent to use some 4-5 ounce cowhide for the strap. Your bag looks nice. Good color already. God bless, Marc

I agree Marc... But like I said the deer hide is what I had. I might try to pick up some other leather for another strap but don't know if I could ever get the colors to match. Any pointers on matching color? Lol

I also considered weaving a hemp strap.

Mike

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 12:59:32 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. When I finish it I may offer it up in the classifieds. It isn't very big... But would suffice for a day hunt with a squirrel rifle. And it isn't fancy. I would be willing to turn loose of it for a bargain price for my time.

Mike

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 04:46:27 AM »
I try to have my strap in the same color spectrum as the bag, but they rarely if ever match. I think complimentary colors or shades are the key. God bless, Marc

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 05:35:16 AM »
Looks good. Nice design. You can get away with the soft deer hide strap if you see a liner to it. My first seriousattempt at a bag I used oil tanned pig skin. It's tough and weather resistant, but, cut into a strip it is very stretchy. I used cotton drill sewn to the back of the strap to stop the stretch.

A very tedious process, but well worth it.

Offline will payne

• AKA dead eye/ Coder /Ethical Hacker
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 07:29:36 PM »
Looks great to me nice leather.
🕯
Will

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 10:20:16 PM »
Wish I could create one as nice as that.  I have enough deer hide; and if I do another one I'll line it with ticking.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 02:11:47 AM »
Well I have several options for strengthening the strap... The easiest may be sewing fabric to the underside to control stretching. I think I'll play around with some scraps and see how they work.

Thank you all for the suggestions, kind words, and encouragement.

Mike