Author Topic: who made the NW trade gun barrels for Northstar  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Rich

who made the NW trade gun barrels for Northstar
« on: June 13, 2019, 07:17:45 PM »
Looking for a 20 ga NW trade gun barrel like Northstar used. Who made them?

Online Hungry Horse

Re: who made the NW trade gun barrels for Northstar
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 08:23:03 PM »
I’m not sure who made barrels for Curly. He may have turned them himself from high pressure tubing. I do know that when I bought from him for my business, his barrels weren’t always the same bore size. A 20 gauge barrel could be any size between .61 cal. and .63. The wedding bands weren’t always in the same place either.

Hungry Horse

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 11:21:47 PM »
I have one of Curly's guns I bought in '78 at Friendship.  It mikes .620 and the first barrel band is 6 1/4" from the breech. Second band is 9 5/16" from breech.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 07:16:49 PM by rick/pa »

Offline elk killer

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 05:38:51 AM »
I'm pretty sure he turned his own, no 2 where the same
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Rich

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 08:22:46 AM »
Thanks for letting me know. I may go with the barrel Track sells. My next quest is for an English Walnut blank (sap wood).

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 04:45:00 PM »
Thanks for letting me know. I may go with the barrel Track sells. My next quest is for an English Walnut blank (sap wood).
Track's barrels are heavy and need breeched. You'll end up with the same money in it as a higher grade barrel from one of the big makers.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 05:36:56 PM »
Track's barrels are heavy and need breeched. You'll end up with the same money in it as a higher grade barrel from one of the big makers.

Out of curiosity, does anyone else make a NW trade gun barrel (double wedding band style)?  May be out there, but not sure I have seen one by anyone else in a while.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 07:34:51 PM »

Out of curiosity, does anyone else make a NW trade gun barrel (double wedding band style)?  May be out there, but not sure I have seen one by anyone else in a while.

Mr. Burton's website lists trade gun barrels up to 48 inches.  http://fcibarrels.tripod.com/smoothbore.html

I do not, yet, have any fist hand experience with Mr. Burton's work but one of his barrels will be on a fowler that I'm having built.  This particular builder speaks very highly of both Mr. Burton and his barrels.

Kevin

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 09:02:40 PM »

Mr. Burton's website lists trade gun barrels up to 48 inches.  http://fcibarrels.tripod.com/smoothbore.html

I do not, yet, have any fist hand experience with Mr. Burton's work but one of his barrels will be on a fowler that I'm having built.  This particular builder speaks very highly of both Mr. Burton and his barrels.

Kevin

You can't go wrong with one of Charlie's barrels, and he's a pleasure to work with.  I've used his barrels on several rifles for myself and others.  I also have a couple of pistols in the works that use his barrels.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 09:33:31 PM »
Hoyt is where I get all my trade gun barrels.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 12:22:22 AM »
North Star West had to be buying barrels somewhere. I’m pretty sure they weren’t making them.

Hungry Horse

Online Bill Madden

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 03:56:57 PM »
I believe Curly's successor, Matt Dennison, bought his barrels from Long Hammock Barrel Co. Barbie at Buckeye Barrels was, and maybe still is, a distributor.