Author Topic: Wood Sources  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Wood Sources
« on: June 14, 2019, 08:30:26 PM »
As you can probably imagine, we use a lot of curly maple here at Kibler's Longrifles.  We purchase this primarily in board form, and at times sourcing this can be a problem.  Buying in quantity from mills or hardwood dealers allows the wood to be affordable which in turn allows us to provide a reasonably priced kit.  So, we are always trying to develop new suppliers to keep the flow of high quality curly maple heading our way.  I know a lot of people read this from various parts of the country, so if you are aware of potential sources, let us know.   We surely would appreciat it!

Thanks,
Jim Kibler
Kibler's Longrifles
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 04:26:00 AM by Jim Kibler »

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Wood Sources
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 12:29:30 AM »
Jim;

CaliCo Hardwoods in Windsor California has a lot of different kinds of stock wood. But, they rarely had any curly maple. The demand was so high for figured maple, that they developed a branch in the east. I do not have contact information any more, but they are still in business, and have a website.

Hungry Horse

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 12:32:50 AM »
The buyer my logger was selling to is "International Hardwoods" and I was told most of their logs go to Europe. But maybe they sell some here and you could get in on that stream of curly.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Nhgrants

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 02:06:54 AM »
In Vermont you might try
Cersosimo Lumber in Hartland, VT
A Johnson Lumber in Bristol, VT
Exclusively Vermont Wood Products, Bristol, VT
Just Google hardwood lumber vermont

Offline Jeff Durnell

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 02:35:12 AM »
Good luck with that one, Jim. I was gonna ask you the same question ;)

Since about a year ago, I've been on a mission to acquire some good quality curly sugar maple... without paying $400 for a single blank. I live in a good area for it. There are big woods, big sugar maples, and sawmills all over the place here, more than I knew, and I've visited and contacted DOZENS of them... from big industries, to Amish mills, to hardwood outlets, and bandsaw mills in folks' backyards... without bringing home a single stick of it.

On my last road trip about a month ago I stopped at a dozen or so mills, I was told repeatedly that there are log buyers that visit or call, tag the curly logs, each mill may have one or a couple after many months of sawing, and then the buyer sends a truck when there are enough on a 'round trip' to make it worthwhile. They load them all up and take them out of state to be cut into veneers. A single busy mill may only find a couple a year... when I said I preferred hard sugar maple with good consistent curl, they'd often flat out laugh at me, they're so rare.

I left my info with owners, salesmen, sawyers, and others who seemed open to the idea of calling me if they come across one. I told them I'd even buy a whole log and cut it and dry it myself,  but I'm not holding my breath and haven't heard anything yet.

I was optimistic when i saw mountains of maple logs and thought I could find enough for myself and possibly supply others but that doesn't seem like it's feasible at this point. I have a big sugar maple in my front yard and think my odds are better to cut that sucker down and see what's inside.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 03:22:28 PM »
 Jim,
  You may have already tried them, their up in Holmes Co. They have some really nice wood, neat place just to walk through.

Tim

http://www.keimlumber.com/

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 03:26:09 PM »
I buy a lot of hardwoods for my university lab from Groff and Groff in Quarryville PA. They usually have a good supply of curly maple on hand. Lately my students have been buying wood from a couple Amish mills in the Lancaster area and prices are very good. Send me a PM and I can see about getting you the info.

https://www.groffslumber.com/

Alex Johnson
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 09:41:37 PM by 44-henry »

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 06:27:58 PM »
 :o :o :o... If only we had back all the hard sugar maple that was converted to charcoal in Mr. Jack Daniel's hollow,... !!! :'( :'( ...I've known of many huge trees from these Tennessee ridges that were sold for "good money" to filter Mr. Jack's product,... maybe sippin' likker filtered through curly maple charcoal is what made my whiskers curley,...!!! ... good luck, Jim,... I got this plank from a sawmill in Northern Michigan,... 6'X12"X3" thick... If I can contact the fellow who brought it to Tennessee, I will let you know,.... Regards,... CCF....

insurance companies that insure salvage titles

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 09:40:57 PM »
Jim, I do not know this fellow, but drive by sometimes and see large chunks of sugar maple.  You could maybe call him.
JT Tree Service LLC, 3881 County Road 5, Rushsylvania, OH 43347  Ph: 937-935-3316

My son has six or seven huge sugar maples, 6 feet diameter breast high (dbh),  most are multiple trunks up higher.  Since I'm the guy that mows around them, one or two could easily be taken away, as long as you cut them at ground level - no stumps!  I tell him he should sugar them, he doesn't want to.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 03:10:37 PM »
As you can probably imagine, we use a lot of curly maple here at Kibler's Longrifles.  We purchase this primarily in board form, and at times sourcing this can be a problem.  Buying in quantity from mills or hardwood dealers allows the wood to be affordable which in turn allows us to provide a reasonably priced kit.  So, we are always trying to develop new suppliers to keep the flow of high quality curly maple heading our way.  I know a lot of people read this from various parts of the country, so if you are aware of potential sources, let us know.   We surely would appreciat it!

Thanks,
Jim Kibler
Kibler's Longrifles

Hi Jim,
Between finishing this documentary film and incessant rains my flow of curly maple has dwindled to a trickle. That should change by early fall as weather and this film project are resolved. I also plan to increase my sources as harvesting on our state and national forests here in southern Indiana (some very large trees) is increasing overall.
Thanks,
Troy

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 03:31:55 AM »
Ohio is a good current source for maple syrup (Sorry Mich & Canada). Lots of antique furniture there is made of curly maple.
They gotta get that syprup from sugar maple trees. I'd look to Ohio mills, if in the Midwest.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 04:33:12 PM »
Thanks everybody for the leads.  I'll be following up on them.  Sure do appreciate the help and suggestions!

All the best,
Jim

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 07:29:25 PM »
 Jim, here is another lead for you.  https://alanmcilvain.com/

Willbarq

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 06:57:35 AM »
Jim,

Yes I do. Two places actually. You might be forced to saw your own blanks...but I know some places for planks. :) One is just across the border into Michigan from me and the other is down the road about ten miles. I'm on the other side of Ohio... If you are interested in coming this way let me know and I will introduce you to the one. The other forgot about me so I haven't bothered to check back with them.

William