Author Topic: Stuck  (Read 1639 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Stuck
« on: June 14, 2019, 09:30:31 PM »
I am making a screw-tip powder horn and I have a problem.   The screw-tip is stuck part way on and I can't budge it.   It did not go on tight.   It just won't come back off.   I have tried water, soap, heat, and even WD-40.   It is not all the way on, so, I can't leave it.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.    I don't know if this makes any difference, but I lubed the threads with lard when cutting them this time.   In the past,  I used tap free.  The lard seemed to work better.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Stuck
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 10:06:32 PM »
I am making a screw-tip powder horn and I have a problem.   The screw-tip is stuck part way on and I can't budge it.   It did not go on tight.   It just won't come back off.   I have tried water, soap, heat, and even WD-40.   It is not all the way on, so, I can't leave it.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.    I don't know if this makes any difference, but I lubed the threads with lard when cutting them this time.   In the past,  I used tap free.  The lard seemed to work better.

Have you already turned the tip? I thread them while still rough, although cone or tube shaped. I have had them stick but being rough use a small pipe wrench to get them off. Is it an internal or external tip?
I have found starting with a tapered tap and finishing with a bottoming tap helps. Also once threaded turn the die around and run it back down, I put the die in a vice and turn the horn into it. Also using Two dies seems to help, sounds strange but it does. Most of all make sure your tap and die are from the same company.
 Hope this helps. Aggravating work some days isn't it.

Tim 

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 12:30:02 AM »
The tip was finished.  That is why it was such a problem for me.    There are female threads in the tip and male threads on the horn.  It is a southern banded horn.     

Since the horn was ruined if I didn't get it off,  I took a pair of channel locks to the tip and turned out the marks after I got it off.  The threaded portion of the horn had swollen.  I couldn't even get the die back on it.   I had to re-cut the threads.  I have never had this happen before.   I really don't know why the horn swelled up.   

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 12:48:14 AM »
just guessing but maybe moisture from this last storm front.  maybe next time try putting it in the oven on real low to dry out the moisture.
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 04:24:54 AM »
I have had tips stick before but I have always been able to get them off. I use a piece of soft leather wrapped around and chanel locks. I usually find I need to cut the male threads a couple of times. Even when threading wood. Not sure why as I never have these problems in metal. I know that If I heat the horn in lard (not real hot maybe 220) the horn cuts easier for me. Really true of old, dry horn. I think this also helps as the horn shrinks some when cool. I wouldn't swear to this though.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 03:11:45 PM »
 Thinking about this after reading Steve's post I'm thinking that maybe if the tools are not supper sharp they may compress the horn, even if it is a tinny bit and that is why they are so tight. Recutting the threads a couple times may take that small amount left off.

Tim

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 04:16:07 PM »
Maybe grasp it with some safe jawed pliers and apply a moderate amount of pressure while gently tapping it with a wooden mallet. Worth a try.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 05:01:20 PM »
I have a "wrench" that is actually a plastic handle with an adjustable rubber strap.  I've used it with good results on stuck horn tips.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 09:54:30 PM »
I think you're onto something Tim. My dies are sharp but when cutting compressible materials, a second go at them ensures the correct size. I know Art likes the machinist's dies that are adjustable in the handle. I think this is a good idea to ensure a good fit between the male and female threads.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 12:40:15 AM »
Would it be possible that the lard was absorbed and swelled up the horn?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 12:48:11 AM »
Would it be possible that the lard was absorbed and swelled up the horn?

That is a possibility but I do not use lard. Now that I think about it though I do use a Dr. Jackson's Leather Rejuvenator as a lube sometimes, maybe that is absorbed into the horn. Maybe soap or wax would be better.

Tim   

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 01:36:06 AM »
A different type of die is certainly an idea.  I have been using hex rethreading dies.   I never thought they were the best, just inexpensive.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 05:01:20 AM »
Same as me Mark. I buy new taps and dies and only use them on my horns. Well, sometimes on wood too. I like them sharp. I have adjustable dies in my set at work in my tool box. Only go up to 1/2 inch though. Not sure I'm gonna buy a 5/8 just to try it.

Steve
Steve Skillman